Moo-Hoo Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bottled a left hand milk stout yesterday and during brewing decided to add 4oz of chocolate covered nibs. Happened to have it in the pantry and seemed like a fun addition. I have not done a side by side but on first glance the base recipe is somewhat similar to the moohoo. Anyway, even though it was green, it tasted unbelievable. Very nice chocolate flavor.

I have very little experience using nibs and chocolate but it seemed to me that they should go in the boil near the end to melt the chocolate and steep the nibs a la coffee beans when making coffee. We ended up adding them at 5 min. No oil reside or anything seen on top during fermentation. Still need to try the final product but it was so dang good not sure how long long I can wait before cracking one open.

Old thread, but a beer I want to make. Can anyone comment on how this comes out and if any changes were made to the OP's recipe?

I havent tried it again yet but i will in the coming month or so.

Did you ever get a chance to take another shot at this? Moo Hoo is my son's favorite chocolate stout and I may brew him a batch for Christmas if I can find the right recipe.

Did you ever get a chance to take another shot at this? Moo Hoo is my son's favorite chocolate stout and I may brew him a batch for Christmas if I can find the right recipe.

The chocolate Nibs are on their way and I should have it brewed in the next week or two. The recipe is correct as it came straight from Terrapin, but our different brewing systems as home brewers may prove the need to tweak it a little bit. I think if you went ahead and tried it your son would not be disappointed. Even if it isnt perfectly cloned, it will be a damn good stout! I will keep everyone updated when I do brew this here soon.

The chocolate Nibs are on their way and I should have it brewed in the next week or two. The recipe is correct as it came straight from Terrapin, but our different brewing systems as home brewers may prove the need to tweak it a little bit. I think if you went ahead and tried it your son would not be disappointed. Even if it isnt perfectly cloned, it will be a damn good stout! I will keep everyone updated when I do brew this here soon.

You talked me into it. Ordered my nibs as well... ;)

Would a chocolate stout benefit from a longer conditioning period?? Wondering if I plan give this as a Christmas gift, would it be best to brew it ASAP and let it condition a month or so until Christmas?

You talked me into it. Ordered my nibs as well... ;)

Would a chocolate stout benefit from a longer conditioning period?? Wondering if I plan give this as a Christmas gift, would it be best to brew it ASAP and let it condition a month or so until Christmas?

I'm sure it wouldnt hurt to be bottled sooner than later. I doubt the chocolate flavor will fade in just a month or so. Let us know how it goes and how long you secondary with the nibs. SWMBO is out of town next weekend and I may get two brews done that weekend, including this one. Cheers!

So where are you going to use the nibs? In the boil or in secondary? Great thread.

The 8oz of nibs will all go in secondary. Boiling them plus fermentation would push all of the aromas out of the beer.

Yep. I plan to add in the secondary as well. The question is how long? I may go 7 days??

Nuff said... :D

Moo Hoo Grain.jpg

Add some espresso and you have a $10 a bottle beer

A la moo hoo-chiato

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A la moo hoo-chiato

Are you paying? ;)

The deed is done!

I'm not a stout guy. This brew is for my son. But the hydro sample of this black sludge has quite a nice tasty toastyness to it. I'm pretty jazzed about it. Now I just have to avoid screwing it up by overdoing it with the nibs.

The brew went fine. Was longer than it should have been. I miscalculated/lost count on my sparge water volume so had to almost double my boil time. :smack:

Had a semi stuck sparge right at the end. For my second running, I had the valve wide open and the grain bed compacted so tightly it stop running. Just had to break up the grain bed to finish the last gallon of the sparge.

Over shot my OG a bit. Ended up at 1.070. Probably because I dumped the whole lb of lactose instead of .75lbs...

A few minor issues but all in all a good brew day! :ban:

Are you paying? ;)

The deed is done!

I'm not a stout guy. This brew is for my son. But the hydro sample of this black sludge has quite a nice tasty toastyness to it. I'm pretty jazzed about it. Now I just have to avoid screwing it up by overdoing it with the nibs.

The brew went fine. Was longer than it should have been. I miscalculated/lost count on my sparge water volume so had to almost double my boil time. :smack:

Had a semi stuck sparge right at the end. For my second running, I had the valve wide open and the grain bed compacted so tightly it stop running. Just had to break up the grain bed to finish the last gallon of the sparge.

Over shot my OG a bit. Ended up at 1.070. Probably because I dumped the whole lb of lactose instead of .75lbs...

A few minor issues but all in all a good brew day! :ban:

I can't wait to hear how this turns out! What did you use for yeast?

Me either! ;)

White Labs Dry English Ale in a 2L starter.

And it is gurpping into the blow-off tube as we speak...

Nice. I just brewed a porter today with wyeast London ale. I'm thinking of using the yeast cake for this one.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is one I'd love to clone as well, I really enjoy the Moo Hoo. Looking forward to updates.

A la moo hoo-chiato

I saw this commment and thought, "This guy sounds just like Sleepyemt!" LOL

That was a good beer, I think you just had some bitterness on your palate before the first sip! :D

Brewed this up yesterday and its chugging away like crazy already! I wonder if its ready to bottle yet :D

One week in, I took a gravity reading today; 1.030. I'm concerned it may be stuck?? Airlock activity has been minimal the last few days. OG was 1.070.

Other than swirling the bucket to try and get the yeast back into suspension (been there done that), any tricks to get it to finish? I know it's a bit early but expected it to be closer then it is to FG.

:confused:

One week in, I took a gravity reading today; 1.030. I'm concerned it may be stuck?? Airlock activity has been minimal the last few days. OG was 1.070.

Other than swirling the bucket to try and get the yeast back into suspension (been there done that), any tricks to get it to finish? I know it's a bit early but expected it to be closer then it is to FG.

:confused:

I would just give it a few swirls like you mentioned. Maybe raise the ferm temp a few degrees if its not too hot already. Even if it only lowers 5 gravity points down to 1.025, you should have an awesome beer. finishing higher and being sweeter with this one wont hurt. And at being only a week in, it should still drop a little. Good luck!

Well I did give it another good swirl and raised the temp another 1/2 degree to 68. It's not going to bubble the top off the airlock but there is activity. So maybe it will get there yet??

I have to keep telling myself: patience grasshopper...

Well I did give it another good swirl and raised the temp another 1/2 degree to 68. It's not going to bubble the top off the airlock but there is activity. So maybe it will get there yet??

I have to keep telling myself: patience grasshopper...

Sounds like you should be fine! Check it in another week.

Took another gravity reading today. To my unwelcome surprise, it hasn't budged. Still on 1.030... I thought for sure I'd get a few more points out of it.

I'm wondering if I didn't aerate well enough from the start?? First time using an aquarium pump. It bubbled up and foamed over after about 5-10 minutes. I assumed it was saturated which is why it foamed over? Maybe it wasn't??

Oh well, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

On a good note, the hydro sample tastes awesome. And the nibs are in! Those nibs (Olive & Sinclair) have an incredible aroma!!

Wouldn't the lactose boost the FG? If 1.018 is suppose to be it? Then add what the lactose adds? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Wouldn't the lactose boost the FG? If 1.018 is suppose to be it? Then add what the lactose adds? Or am I looking at this wrong?

I did add additional lactose than what finsfan's recipe called for. I added a full lb verses the .75lbs the recipe called for. So maybe that raised the final gravity some??

I have read that lactose is not fermentable??

I did add additional lactose than what finsfan's recipe called for. I added a full lb verses the .75lbs the recipe called for. So maybe that raised the final gravity some??

I have read that lactose is not fermentable??

Its not, you should have a higher FG...?

finsfan, Congrats on the HBT article!

I just got all the ingredients together for this beer. I'll probably brew it tonight or tomorrow. I decided to use my old standby US-05 yeast for the recipe instead of re using a yeast cake.

How long did you leave the cocoa nibs in the secondary?

I just racked onto 8oz of the Olive and Sinclair Ghana Cacao nibs which smelled fantastic! The gravity samples I have had so far weren't impressive at all but I am hoping for the best after adding the nibs. I will report back in a week when I take my first sample. Cheers!

brewed 2 batches of this. one followed the recipe exactly (except 10 days on nibs @ secondary, 7 was too subtle), the second a did a few changes to the recipe we'll see which is better soon.

IMO....if you what cocoa, use cocoa...I really appreciate what Terrapin has done for brew in GA. They have been instrumental in the intro of craft brews in the south, but they are "players" (read "Coors")..and my experience with them here in Athens got off to a bad start. Arrogance and ignorance...I would give them some slack if they had been "solid" in the last 4 yrs
. There are new players in town. Hopefully, they will give T a reason to step it up....

I still need to build another crate but here is half of my son's Christmas present... ;)

crated MooHoo.jpg

This batch yielded 57 bottles. Too bad these crates only hold 1 case each. Guess I'll have to keep the other 9... :mug:

Can I see how u made your bottom?

They are made from old pallets. The crates I made a slightly smaller than the ones in the plans I found online. If you plan to put dividers in between the bottles, you will need to increase the size a bit.

Everything is glued and nailed except the bottom slates, they are glued and screwed.

The dimensions I used are:

• End - (4) Short Horizontals - 1x3x9-3/4
  • End - (4) Verticals - 1x2x10
  • Side - (4) Long Horizontals - 1x3x17
  • Bottom - (5) 1x2x15-3/4

Crate right side up.jpg

Crate upside down.jpg

Sounds great! Can't wait until someone can give a review.

Think I could just sub the 2-row for Light DME and keep the steeping grains the same to do an extract version?

Sounds great! Can't wait until someone can give a review.

Think I could just sub the 2-row for Light DME and keep the steeping grains the same to do an extract version?

I cant say for sure, but it sounds like it would work.

Just brew today. Ended up with 6 gallons In the fermenter so my OG Is 1.060. I don't care if it's 6% abv. I just want a great beer. I'm sure that this one is going to be awesome!

I'm going to ferment for 2 weeks at 65 then rack to a secondary with the coco nibs. I'll take pics when it's done.

I was going to brew an extract version last night. Got all the stuff from my LHBS and realized just in time, they left off the yeast!

So I have to either drive back (50 miles) or order online........

So I'll brew it in a few days

I was going to brew an extract version last night. Got all the stuff from my LHBS and realized just in time, they left off the yeast!

So I have to either drive back (50 miles) or order online........

So I'll brew it in a few days

I always like to buy local but my LHBS has made several screw ups on my purchases so I just ordered the majority of my grains and hops online. I do buy 50lb sacks of 2 row and yeast from them though. It sucks to have a great recipe and not have accurate measurements of grains.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back