Montana Craft 2-row malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received my order from Label Peelers of a sack but won't have time to brew for another 2 weeks. I like trying different malts and tho 55 lbs is alot to take a gamble on, the little I've read shows this malt to be very well liked. But I'm hopeful it's going to perfectly fine.

I grabbed a sack over the weekend. The price went up a few dollars to $41.
It's plain basic 2-row, so hopefully there's nothing nothing crazy about it :)

Do they have a way to access a malt COA anywhere on the bag. I’m sure they won’t have a QR code like Weyermann but there might be a lot # you can look up. I’m always suspicious of things that seem to good to be true.

At 11.81% the protein may be high enough to make for a somewhat thin beer, but they do specify that as the very maximum. It's a great price.

As a wild stab alternative: MoreBeer has their Viking Pilsner Zero Malt at $44.99 per 55 Lb. bag. This is the new zero lipoxygenase malt. LOX-less.... Oxygen and LOX lead to browning and terrible off-flavors, and early spoilage. With close to zero LOX this malt may be just the ticket for low oxygen "like" brewing, without the effort or expense. ??? And best of all, it was not genetically modified via any means other than natural selection. Max protein = 11.5%.

Have you had a chance to brew with this malt? Looking for an update to see how the beers turned out.

PLanned for the next brew. Used Barke Pils in the last brew that is tasting great.

Made a beer with it. Worked great for a basic 2-row. At a more local brew shop the price was ~$46 for 55lbs. I grabbed another sack.

Made a beer with it. Worked great for a basic 2-row. At a more local brew shop the price was ~$46 for 55lbs. I grabbed another sack.

So it seems to be a decent malt? I just kicked my bag of Rahr. My local shop has Montana Craft 2-Row for $60 per 55# bag. It is the same price as Briess (but 5# more malt). They list Rahr at $65, but it is out of stock. I should probably grab a bag before prices take another jump!

So it seems to be a decent malt? I just kicked my bag of Rahr. My local shop has Montana Craft 2-Row for $60 per 55# bag. It is the same price as Briess (but 5# more malt). They list Rahr at $65, but it is out of stock. I should probably grab a bag before prices take another jump!

It's been a great basic 2 row.

I've got two sacks sitting here that I haven't broken into yet, grabbed it during a big sale a few months ago. I also grabbed a sack of the Montana Pilsner malt that I've used about half of, with no complaints.

I thought I would resurrect an old thread to see if there's been more usage out there of Montana Craft malt.
As I recall, I went through 2 bags. It seemed like a good basic American 2-row malt. Nothing jumped out at me (I had expected extract, milled and mashed as normal, final beer tasted like beer, etc.). I think as prices have gone up, my local shop shifted to Montana Craft malt as an available and reasonably priced base malt. It was selling for the same price as Briess with an extra 5# in the bag. I know at least one local brewery (that makes pretty solid beers) had pallets of Montana Craft 2-Row and Pilsner.

I watched the video...touching story. It looks like they really jumped in to build a fairly large scale malting facility. I am not sure when they started selling malt (looks like around 2018), but I guess that is partially why I had not heard of them before the last few years.

I am not sure when they started selling malt (looks like around 2018), but I guess that is partially why I had not heard of them before the last few years.

I think they said they broke ground in 2017 and it looked like a pretty large facility, so I'm imagining it took some time to stand up the operation. And I'm sure it's hard to jump in and compete with Briess, Rahr, Great Western, etc. right away. I've only ever heard of them in the last year or 2 ... though I haven't been hunting for a new maltster, either.

I had expected extract, milled and mashed as normal, final beer tasted like beer, etc.

Good to know! I think I'll give them a try. Thanks for the input.

A local high production brewery used it. I was able to do a side by side comparison with that and Rahr malts. In the end Rahr won out and they continued using that. Rahr tended to be a good bit cleaner on the palate. I didn't care for it too much either. Each palate is different though so I'd say give it a shot and report back!

My palate has never been very well developed and after radiation for throat cancer I lost most of the little taste I had. I am not the guy to talk with about the fine nuances a particular brew. My sense of smell still works so I go mostly by aroma when cooking or brewing. As a guy even older than me said “doing the best I can with what I got left“. Yes, I use more dry hops than ever.

My palate has never been very well developed and after radiation for throat cancer I lost most of the little taste I had. I am not the guy to talk with about the fine nuances of a particular brew. My sense of smell still works so I go mostly by aroma when cooking or brewing. As a guy even older than me said “doing the best a can with what I have l have left”. Yes, I use more dry hops than ever.

Back