Monster Mill or Captain Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wubears71

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at my witt's end with my Barley Crusher as it took me 25 minutes to crush 12 lbs of grain last night. I am so sick of the passive roller not catching so I'm ready to move to something new.

Right now, I'm thinking of either getting a Monster Mill MM3 2.0 or Northern Brewer's Captain Crush. I know that the MM3 is a 2.0 Dia roller and the Captain Crush is a 1.5 Dia roller, but I really dig the ribbed rollers on the Captain Crush.

I've looked on there and have not seen a whole lot of talk about the Captain Crush, which I expected since it's pretty new.

Either one would be driven with a 3/8" cordless drill (Festool T15+3 to be specific).

Cost is not a concern, but if the Captain Crush will do just as good of a job as the MM, I would be happy to save a few bucks. I know what the MM crush looks like, so I would love to see a pic of the Captain Crush if anyone has one.

Thanks for the help.

I just recently bought my first(and hopefully last) grain mill and I went with the MM-3, but not the 2.0 model. I opted for the 1.5" over paying the extra for the 2.0 model seeing as the 3 roller 1.5" is the same price as the 2" 2 roller model. I haven't had the pleasure of testing it out yet as I don't have a brew day planned until saturday. I will report back once I get to test it.

I like the Captain Crush, but as you have already stated there is not very much in the way of reviews on it yet since it is so new.

I'm quite enamored with my new monster mill (not even the 2.0). Spent the savings on a hopper, base and a low speed electric drill from HF

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have not purchased yet, but I have opted to spend a bit more up front and go with MM. I think the CC is a great grain mill but I somehow have equated it to being similar to the BC in quality. Maybe I am wrong, but I'm trying to make solid purchases up front instead of buying twice. My initial purchase of a 5 gallon kettle will eventually be wasted space and that is with less than a year of brewing experience. I just don't have the means to buy and re-buy gear you know? I'd rather wait and buy the MM (to save more) at this point.

I'm a past, unsatisfied barley crusher user that moved onto a monster mill 3 roller model. I also own the two roller model at my other brew house. Over the past three years me and five other brewers regularly use the 3 roller model powered by a corded drill. Sometimes you'll need to spin the passive roller to get it to grab but after that its lights out for the barley. I spared buying the hopper and built my own quite cheaply from a culligan water jug

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I built a two roller mill with 5" rollers that are gear driven to each other. One gear is smaller than the other so the grain rolls through. This is the way the professional ones are made. I have found that the larger diameter rollers feed so much better. It's belt driven to a 1/2 hp motor and will mill 18 lbs. of malt in 45 seconds! My point is that driving the second roller is a good thing and larger rollers are a good thing.

The rollers we work on at the beer factory are about a foot in diameter and eight feet long and there are six of them. The endosperm looks like talcum powder and the hulls are still whole.

A friend of mine just ditched his barley crusher for a MM3 and loves it.

I don't think you would regret having the MM. I have the MM2 after discussing it with Fred who said anything bigger than that was overkill for anything smaller than a homebrew shop or a small micro. Preciated him not trying to upsell me. I did drool over the MM3 though. Just so you know, you won't be driving any of the 2.0 mills with a 3/8 drill. They are 1/2 standard shafts, and you're going to need something with some oomph. I hooked a 3/8 HF drill to my MM2 and pulled the trigger and just got alot of smoke shooting out of the drill. Took it right back and got a 1/2 hammer drill and it runs like gangbusters now.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering the Captain Crush. I figure if it sucks, I'll end up going with a MM3 and just put it on my shelf of non-used brewing gadgets. The roller design is just too intriguing not to try.

So I have to say, the Captain Crush is one nice mill! I haven't had a chance to run a full batch of grain through it yet, but ran about a pound through to show my son what it does. I was extremely pleased with the crush.

What i love about it most is how easy it is to set the gap consistently across the rollers.

Here are some pictures:
4432B05C-A609-4D2A-9B24-8FFB8832DD79_zpspim7ywjp.jpg

B9CAFE8E-6FDB-4C5B-A073-CAC5A0D14E2F_zpszvlg7vab.jpg

6FF3A576-F0A3-4F18-BA73-382AE93E3AC4_zpspoe05czv.jpg

B2DDC74D-A2F8-4E8B-9AC4-E207ABA17D41_zps99xkvn7g.jpg

01A8A0E2-E3B3-439B-A97A-69EC5B4EC91D_zpsihwcchlf.jpg

CF4E2FB0-E405-4AEF-AF78-BC162C6A61EA_zpsbgipuiyk.jpg

1E099121-48A0-4473-9B9A-B800C26B4EEB_zpslobm2i7f.jpg

38F24EFA-D274-465A-A302-DFBE7DE34DDF_zps68iolb0w.jpg

The Captain Crush looks nice! I ended up buying the Monster Mill 3 however with base and hopper ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393641404.254554.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393641428.179759.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393641439.723015.jpg

I understand that you are deciding between a MM or CC, but I love my JSP malt mill (http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm). I appreciate the longer rollers that allow for more grain to be crushed in less time, it's built like a tank and the adjustable version produces a very good crush (I use a finer than standard crush because I BIAB).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

I understand that you are deciding between a MM or CC, but I love my JSP malt mill (http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm). I appreciate the longer rollers that allow for more grain to be crushed in less time, it's built like a tank and the adjustable version produces a very good crush (I use a finer than standard crush because I BIAB).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh
I like the price on this piece! I'm in the same boat as the op and am shopping/learning more about mills now

+1 on the JSP. Quality USA made mill with some mojo. Has been around for a long time, predates the others. The model A will allow you to adjust, but the P model produces a great crush but maybe not as fine as some would like at .045 inches. The hopper is also small so you may need to build a larger one is that is an issue for you. Two 10 inch long, 1.50 inch rollers will last the average home brewer a very long time. The monster mills are also top notch although I don't use one they seem to get nothing but positive reviews.

Really like seeing the captain crush information and curious about how they hold up over the long run. It's a little more expensive. Is it made in the US like JSP and Monster? I know it's a NB mill and with AIH selling the Chinese made cereal killer I was wondering if the same thing applies to the Captain Crush. If so, NB is probably making a real nice profit on those!

For the JSP wouldn't you want it adjustable on both ends not just one? The $25 flat rate shipping irritates me. I'm 4 hours from them

I know. I'm not too far but it's still cheaper to get it from JSP directly than Northern Brewer who also sells it for more and hits you with shipping. As far as the adjustability here is what JSP says about it. So take it for what it is I guess. I have the A model. There is an AA that's priced closer to monster.

"One final point on adjustable mills is worth putting on the table. It is frequently suggested that the one sided adjustability of the MM is a limitation when in fact, this is actually the key to the so called "text book crush".

If you look at the oft published drawing of a six roller mill, you will note that the roller spacings are about .050", .030" and .012" from top to bottom. It just so happens that, when an adjustable MM is set to near contact at the adjustable end, one gets those same numbers at the fixed end, center and adjustable end respectively. The end result is that the random distribution of grain across the length of the rollers provides about the same grist distribution as a six roll mill.

This situation is enhanced as the roller length is increased and probably could not be reproduced in a mill with shorter rollers. I also doubt that short rollers could be operated at such a skew without binding and/or damage to the bearings.

I repeat my challenge to anyone to prove that they get better beer using any mill out there than from a fixed MM. Not surprisingly, I hear from people who have had mills for years who call to ask what the knob on the side is for or who know what it is for but have never adjusted the mill since receiving it.

HOWEVER, to silence the skeptics, we do offer a mill, (Model AA) adjustable at both ends, for a nominal additional cost but few of them are willing to put their money where their mouth is."

Again the JSP is a great mill. I gave the adjustable at both end mill, but I BIAB, so I'm looking for a finer crush. When I'm not doing BIAB I leave the factory setting.

It is one tank of a mill.

How's everything going with the CC? I'm really debating the MM3 vs CC vs JSP. I guess I probably won't go wrong with any of those!

I ended up with the JSP and couldn't be happier

Can you tell me which model and what accessories you purchased? I am going to move from a BC myself and I like the idea of the gear drive option. Seems that the non adjustable ought to be perfect, can you elaborate on which you got.

Thanks.

Wait, this was supposed to be a comparison of the MM and the Captain Crush mills. But then people bring in the JSP and the Barley Crusher, and we then get the good old PC challenge: "I dare anyone to show me that their mill will do better. "

Well, folks, I use a $23 Corona-type mill that I run with an ancient Craftsman 1/2" drill, and the OG that Beer Alchemy says I should be looking for, I get. Every time. I'm not interested in beating anyone else's numbers. I'm getting the correct numbers for any beer I make, every time. So here's to my "Victoria 500" corn mill, long may she wave.

Can you tell me which model and what accessories you purchased? I am going to move from a BC myself and I like the idea of the gear drive option. Seems that the non adjustable ought to be perfect, can you elaborate on which you got.

Thanks.
Barebones, adjustable, gear driven. ~$175 to my door. Hopper and mount were DIY with stuff I already had laying around.

I've got to second the JSP. I absolutely love the mill (both end adjustable - I BIAB so need to tighten it down). I build my own mount and hopper - PITA, but completely do-able.

Latest posts

Back