Monster Mill issue question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I've owned an MM2 in the past and everything was perfect. After a hiatus from brewing due to life events I am now restarting up my brewing and this time went with the MM2Pro just for the heck of it. The unit I received has a flawless slave roller but what looked to be a bit dinged up drive roller. I contacted Fred and he noted there are some deformed knurls from the manufacturing process. Said it's probably fine but he'd happily send me a replacement which I accepted. Received the replacement and the knurling is perfect, but after installation I noticed it makes more noise when turning the drive roller - it's just the drive roller making noise. So I investigated and eventually noticed the shaft ends are rough instead of being smoothed like the other roller and original drive roller. So now I'm wondering if this will wear the bushings out much faster. It makes a light "Rrrrrrr" sound when rotating, like a slight engine revving sound. I know bushings are replaceable, my concern is brass is much softer than steel so I'm wondering if this will be an issue or if it all might smooth out over time. Pics - new rough roller first then smooth original roller:

rough 1.jpg

rough 2.jpg
smooth 1.jpg
smooth 2.jpg

I have a MM 2.2 and the finish on the shafts and bearings are much finer than that. I would have to assume that bearing face would chew through a brass bushing.

I'd send Fred those pictures and get his opinion...

I sent him an email with the pics last night. I'll report back today. I feel bad in a way cause he already lost money sending a replacement roller with a prepaid return label. But the mills are bit pricey and shouldn't come with these flaws I would think.

Rev.

@Rev2010, thanks for posting this. I received my MM-3Pro earlier in the week and had not unpacked it yet. Tonight, I just looked at it and the shaft appears and feels smooth. Did you ever receive a follow-up to your email?

Back