Monster Mill 2 issue w/ hopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
I bought a MM2 used without a hopper, so I purchased the monster mill mm2 hopper for it. I assembled the hopper and when I sit it on top of the mill body, the inside of the hopper hits/touches the rollers and does not allow them to spin at all. If I flip the entire mill body upside down, then I have enough clearance, but I have a big void below the hopper. I’ve looked at many pictures online and they all show it with the “Monster Mill” embossing at the bottom (upright). Anyone else have this issue? I thought about just using some washers to raise it enough at the four corners where the hopper bolts to the mill body, but then the side holes do not line up.

I took two pictures, but I know it’s hard to tell from the picture that the hopper is touching the rollers. Also, the rollers/hopper looks crooked because of the angle of the picture. It is straight across.

Thanks in advance for any help / input!

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

I have the MM3 with the hopper...looks pretty similar.

Two things you might try. First, is there any slop in the fit through the holes? If the holes are larger than the screws, there is play in there. Loosen then lift to get the hopper sitting as high as you can on the flanges that attache to the mill.

The other question is whether it's the end pieces contacting the rollers, the side pieces, or both. If one and not the other, you may have the same issue with play in the way the bolts are tightened.

FWIW, when I assembled mine, I put the screw heads inside the hopper.

I have the MM3 with the hopper...looks pretty similar.

Two things you might try. First, is there any slop in the fit through the holes? If the holes are larger than the screws, there is play in there. Loosen then lift to get the hopper sitting as high as you can on the flanges that attache to the mill.

The other question is whether it's the end pieces contacting the rollers, the side pieces, or both. If one and not the other, you may have the same issue with play in the way the bolts are tightened.

FWIW, when I assembled mine, I put the screw heads inside the hopper.

Thanks for the info, but still no luck [emoji20]

I took the whole thing apart and reassembled by swapping panels around on the hopper and I installed the bolts with the nut side on the outside this time. There is no play/slop in any of the bolt holes. I made sure nothing looked bent or out of shape. The inside bottom of the hopper is catching all along the full length of the roller on both rollers. They don’t move freely at all and when I try to move the main roller shaft with my hand, it moves under resistance and grinds against the hopper. I emailed Monster Brewing to see if they have any ideas as well. I’m not really sure what the deal is unless maybe I was sent the wrong hopper? The hoppers all look the same from what I could tell, but the one I ordered said it was specifically for the MM-2.

Thanks for the info, but still no luck [emoji20]

I took the whole thing apart and reassembled by swapping panels around on the hopper and I installed the bolts with the nut side on the outside this time. There is no play/slop in any of the bolt holes. I made sure nothing looked bent or out of shape. The inside bottom of the hopper is catching all along the full length of the roller on both rollers. They don’t move freely at all and when I try to move the main roller shaft with my hand, it moves under resistance and grinds against the hopper. I emailed Monster Brewing to see if they have any ideas as well. I’m not really sure what the deal is unless maybe I was sent the wrong hopper? The hoppers all look the same from what I could tell, but the one I ordered said it was specifically for the MM-2.

Ask Monster Brewing Hardware what the problem might be.

Fred will help ya' any way he can.

https://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/store/pc/contact.asp

Looks to me: Wrong hopper, if the panels are dragging the rollers.
Also looks like the panels that nest the mill body, are too wide, and won't facilitate the closing of any gaps between the side / end panels, and the mill body.

Ask Monster Brewing Hardware what the problem might be.

Fred will help ya' any way he can.

https://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/store/pc/contact.asp

Looks to me: Wrong hopper, if the panels are dragging the rollers.
Also looks like the panels that nest the mill body, are too wide, and won't facilitate the closing of any gaps between the side / end panels, and the mill body.

Thank you so much for the info! I have sent them a message. I’ll see what they say and go from there.

Looks like a quick fix with a grinder is all you need.................. Even a large file would take that amount off pretty fast.

H.W.

Looks like a quick fix with a grinder is all you need.................. Even a large file would take that amount off pretty fast.

H.W.

Yeah, I may have to end up doing that. I just expected it to bolt right on and work as intended without having to modify it. I’ll see what Monster Brewing Hardware says since I messaged them this morning.

is it that the hopper is for mm2-pro, and you have a standard mm2? the "pro" have bigger rollers afaik.

is it that the hopper is for mm2-pro, and you have a standard mm2? the "pro" have bigger rollers afaik.

I think you may be on to something! I did some searching on their website and found this:

“The main six hopper parts are the same for any of our mills, while the sides that hold the hopper are different for each mill, and double as covers to keep the grist below the base.”

So, according to that quote, the sides ARE different per each model of mill. Sounds like I could have been sent the wrong hopper, even though I did confirm I have the regular MM-2 mill and the hopper I ordered was for the regular MM-2 as well.

I think you may be on to something! I did some searching on their website and found this:

“The main six hopper parts are the same for any of our mills, while the sides that hold the hopper are different for each mill, and double as covers to keep the grist below the base.”

So, according to that quote, the sides ARE different per each model of mill. Sounds like I could have been sent the wrong hopper, even though I did confirm I have the regular MM-2 mill and the hopper I ordered was for the regular MM-2 as well.
That's not the MM2 Pro base. The Pro doesn't have the wing screws to lock the roller gap, so there arent holes for it in the hopper

UPDATE: I emailed back and forth a few times with Fred @ Monster Brewing Hardware and he had never seen an issue like this before. He offered to make it right by giving a refund or sending a new hopper. I ended up just drilling out / elongating the mounting holes in the hopper brackets (3 holes on each bracket). This gave me enough room to slide the hopper up in the brackets to get enough clearance to allow the rollers to spin.

I originally did not want to cut / grind / modify the mill or hopper, simply because if you buy a part (in this case a specific hopper) for a particular model, you expect it to bolt on and fit. I could have built my own hopper, but I opted to buy the one for my mill. It’s just hard buying something new and having to modify it right out of the package.

So, I now have a working mill with hopper. Fred with Monster Brewing Hardware was nice and more than willing to help out.

Back