Moldy beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishy-

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm fairly new to beer making and this is the first time I've seen this in my fermenter out of ten batches.

I'm pretty positive it's mold but would like some veterans opinions. And also should I toss it if it is?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398133322.952076.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you sure? It's muntons yeast. But the clumps have a little bit hanging down into the beer and that's what worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another homebrew will help with that. Or two commercial brews, if you don't have any of your own handy. :mug:

Haha was way ahead of you on that one.

One more question though, do I rack around the clumps or wait for it to drop out? its been in primary 10 days now.

They might drop, or might not. In any case, just rack as usual and try to avoid picking up the bulk of it. No harm in a little, though. It's just yeast.

I've had yeast behave this way. It was using US-05. Only time it's ever happened, though I use that yeast all the time. It just clumped up like cheese curds, all the way through fermentation (you should have seen those globs churning around during active fermentation). When it was done, it dropped out, like normal. Beer was perfectly fine. If it gives you a hard time, just cold crash, and I'm sure those clumps will drop out.

On a less appetizing note, do an on-line search for "clumps of yeast" and see what you get. 'Almost ruined beer for me.... My wife's response: "Geez, I could have told you not to do that!"

Cheers!

I did a La Fin Du Monde clone that did that, shure looked funky. Scared the piss out of me because it was not cheap. Dropped into secondary for 3 or 4 weeks, kegged and let it sit for a month. Awesome.

Back