Mold while bulk aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hboiardt

Reaction score
First time mead maker here.

Recipe was simple (12lb Honey, 3 g water)...fermented and ended at .92 and transferred to carboy and stuck it in my pantry that stays around 72° (I needed my ferm chamber for my pumpkin ale).

This morning I take a look at it and saw a handful of white floaties (no film) floating around in there...should I be concerned?

The floaties have no defining features (no fuzz, no blue centers)...they are just white.

Sorry for the picture quality...my phone had issues focusing through the carboy.

1412167361492.jpg

I can't tell from the picture. Can you take another one? It does look like a ton of headspace, where oxygen can allow mold and other microbes to grow. Mead is less susceptible to oxidation than wine, but not immune to microbes (nor oxidation) so it should have been topped up for aging. it's more critical for wine than for mead, but it's still a good idea.

I was able to get another picture...it kinda looks like foam or stars an residue almost...should I still top it off? Do I just pour a gallon of water in there?

1412198187949.jpg

I was able to get another picture...it kinda looks like foam or stars an residue almost...should I still top it off? Do I just pour a gallon of water in there?

No, don't add a gallon of water- rack to a smaller carboy or two carboys or whatever you can to prevent headspace. You can top up a cup or so, but not gallons!

Some times yeast will float on top even after its done fermenting. How long ago did primary finish. It is hard to tell from the pics but If you are worried you can rack from under it but you will lose some. Also like others said use a smaller carboy and try to minimize head space.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Also, taste it. It may taste fine, which doesn't mean that can't change in the future, but if it tastes sour you definitely have an infection.

But, sours are the hot thing, so even if it's infected, let it ride out, you could have something new and great, if unintended.

I keep 6.5G, 5G, 3G, and 1G carboys, between those I can usually rack into them with minimal headspace for long ageing.

Some times yeast will float on top even after its done fermenting. How long ago did primary finish. It is hard to tell from the pics but If you are worried you can rack from under it but you will lose some. Also like others said use a smaller carboy and try to minimize head space.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Fermented the mead from August 30th to September 25th using the Staggered Nutrient Addition method, and racked it from my bucket to the carboy on 9/26 to make room for my pumpkin ale...I may have transferred over some trub since I didn't get a chance to cold crash it prior to transfer.

Also, taste it. It may taste fine, which doesn't mean that can't change in the future, but if it tastes sour you definitely have an infection.

But, sours are the hot thing, so even if it's infected, let it ride out, you could have something new and great, if unintended.

I keep 6.5G, 5G, 3G, and 1G carboys, between those I can usually rack into them with minimal headspace for long ageing.

The sample I took on 9/26 tasted fantastic! I will try and see if I can get my hands on some gallon jugs or a more appropriately sized carboy.

Thanks for the advice!

Back