Mold under wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darchibald61

Reaction score
I know this question has been posted before but from what I read it didn't answer my question that I have. When I wax my hard cheese, a black mold develops under the wax after about a month or two. The cheese feels dry and has a nice rind on it when I wax and it has been soaked in brine prior to drying (my gouda). I usually just cut it away and it doesn't seem to affect the taste.

The method I use to wax is to melt it in a double boiler and use a brush to apply it. I put on three coats.

Should I switch to melting the wax directly in a pan and dipping the cheese hoping the added heat kills the mold spores?

Also, what is the proper way to get rid of the mold once it is there? Vinegar? Cut it away and rewax?

Thanks.

Certainly not an expert but wax should be about 240F (not sure if paraffin wax can handle that temperature). If you are in fact using a double boiler then the temperature of the lower pot cannot be higher than 212 F , the BP of water. Hotter wax ought to ensure that the bacteria on the surface of the cheese are eliminated so it is possible that applying wax at a lower temperature encourages mold growth.
I would tend to use a concentrated saline solution (20%) to rub on the mold..

Latest posts

Back