• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Gouda - First Attempt (at Cheese)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Drunkenboar

Reaction score
Thought I'd share this here. First attempt at making cheese! 2lbs of Gouda using a recipe from Artisan Cheese Making at Home. Finished making, molding, brining and drying so it's now in the beer fridge at 50'F in a covered box to ripen. After a week or so (per the instructions) I'll wax it and let it continue to age for 60-90 days.

61085880087__45B3C157-8F77-428E-91FA-BA99818865A0.JPG

Once I was done with the cheese I ended up making Ricotta from the left over whey. Didn't yield much, maybe 2 cups. That was turned into a three-cheese Manicotti with fresh pasta and fresh sauce.

IMG_0336.jpg

bkboiler

Reaction score
Well played!
Do you have humidity control of some kind in your beer fridge? Asking out of curiosity, I know very little of cheese making...
What's the plan to pair the Gouda? Yum!

OP
D

Drunkenboar

Reaction score
No humidity control at this time. I kept it in a tupperware container to keep the humidity up. I did, however, end up vacuum sealing it instead of waxing so I wouldn't have to add a humidity source to a fridge. Seemed a reasonable solution until I setup a dedicated "cheese cave".

Since then I've been busy. Last weekend I made another three wheels of Gouda (4 gallons of milk)...

6E032BE9-910E-4C59-9323-C883B3E56E19.JPG

..and managed to get a nice 23gal batch of a Black Butte Porter clone done.

Finally, yesterday I made a 4 gallon batch of beer soaked cheddar using a Russian Imperial stout that I had made with a friend awhile back.

Had a bit of an epiphany on the best way to make cheese. The first batch I made I heated indirectly, with a water bath on the stove (pot inside a larger pot). That seemed a bit silly since I have a large "sous vide" setup in my garage for brewing. Was ultimately able to make larger batches by putting a 5 gallon pot inside of my mash tun (with a water bath heated from my HLT).

61119931340__B48BCAB6-D4C3-4F4E-A024-CFE266EFE90D.jpg

61119958344__EE8FD825-937C-4CCC-B989-2624C1102E7A.JPG

Seems to work well. Very stable temperature control as one might expect.

Last edited:

bernardsmith

Reaction score
You probably have more humidity "control" than you think. Tupperware type containers will seal in the cheese and the moisture that wicks out will stay in the container giving you a significant amount of humidity. If you stand the cheese on the same kind of matting that you use when pressing the cheese that will keep the bottom off any moisture that collects.