Mold on stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Fedwell

Reaction score
I brew and keg extract beers with great success in Haiku HI. It is very wet and moldy here, but not always too warm to make ales where I make the beer. I recenlty had a white thin film and smokey bubbles( a few) of what looks like white mold cover the top on a stout after ten days in a secondary. There was even a little white build up on the side of the carboy at the top of the beer. I racked the beer into the keg and left the slime behind (except what touched the tip of the racking cane when I first poked through it). Will this beer be safe to consume? I have not tasted it yet.

I hate to say it, but it does sorta sound like it's infected. Can't say I'd recommend drinking it, but hey, it's up to you. :D

I have been watching my stout with simular questions. Basically there has been a few steady streams of what I am pretty sure are small bubbles coming up from the cake. I am pretty sure its bubbles because I cannot spoon it out. It hasn't changed gravity in about a week so I don't know what it doing. I am just going to give it some time and see what happens.

Aah, time, the great healer of wounds (and beer). Yeah, waiting is the best thing to do.

Should be safe to consume. "No know pathogens can survive in beer" (Joy of Homebrewing). Don't know how it'll taste but it shouldn't hurt you.

Latest posts

Back