Mold on silicon hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
Good day,
Its been a while since I brewed and just broke out the gear so I could start back up again. I found some white mold spores on some silicone tubing that I use on my pump. I'm curious as to the best way to clean this so the mold is gone?

I'm assuming a bleach bath as well as a rinse and a soak in PBW and then sanitizer? What would the proportion of bleach to water should I use?

Peronally, I'd just ditch it and pick up some new hose.. Sure you'd be more than fine with a bleach and/or PBW soak and a good flush though.

I'm cheap so I wouldn't toss it just yet, silicone tubing isn't cheap.
I never messure the bleach so I would just dump about as much as you would in the washer for a load... in about five or so gallons of water and soak it along with a wash with a rag then rinse it well and put it in some star san for a while.

I guess I would do all the items that were stored along with that hose too.

A nice caustic soak will kill anything. Since there is no caustic cleaners over there I'd use some PBW for a day. Also silicone is able to be heated...throw it in a kettle with some 170+ water ought a do it

Back