Mold on outside of kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've recently found white mold on the OUTSIDE of a couple of the kegs in my kegerator. I've carefully inspected the inside of the kegs after they are emptied and never found mold inside the kegs. And haven't had problems with bad beer. I've not seen any mold in my lines or taps.

I'm generally meticulous about cleaning and sanitizing. I soak all my kegs overnight with hot water and oxyclean, then sanitize with starsan.

I had a spill of some beer that leaked from one of the taps a few weeks ago, and also had some milk that went sour. So I defrosted the kegerator, and thoroughly scrubbed the inside with hot water and oxyclean. Smells fine... no odor.

Anyone experienced this? Any tips?

I had a spill of some beer that leaked from one of the taps a few weeks ago, and also had some milk that went sour...

As I'm reading your post I'm picturing a keezer like mine, and I suddenly wondered what milk had to do with anything. I concluded that you probably have a normal fridge as a kegerator and you might store some groceries in there to make room in the fridge, but before I reached that conclusion my mind went directly to milk on tap, and from there to sparkling milk on tap. Brilliant. Imagine the possibilities: cereal with sparkling milk, doughnuts dunked in sparkling milk, sparkling ovaltine, I'm going to be rich.:rockin:

I also get some mold in my keezer. I tried the eva-dry, but that didn't really do anything for me. I have learned to live with it and just pull everything out about twice a year to clean it.

Mold occurs from time to time in my keezer. I remove the kegs and brush them down with a dilute bleach solution, then do a through clean and bleach of the inside of the keezer. I wont see any mold for at least 6 months after. Moisture and spilt beer seem to be the culprit.

As I'm reading your post I'm picturing a keezer like mine...

You are closer than you could possibly know... in fact, my keezer will be EXACTLY like yours (minus the stout tap) in about 2 days. I've built my collar according to your directions, and will be installing it on Tuesday :)

...my mind went directly to milk on tap, and from there to sparkling milk on tap. Brilliant. Imagine the possibilities: cereal with sparkling milk, doughnuts dunked in sparkling milk, sparkling ovaltine, I'm going to be rich.:rockin:

Hmmm.... may have to try that with an open keg if I every have one! I'll start the patent paperwork... does anyone know if they will accept forum usernames on patent applications? :D

Any chance you have a small leak? I spent last year using a freezer with cobra taps. It was pretty easy to figure out which keg the taps got set down on the most. Lots of mold. My freezer is now redone (collar, taps , etc.) and after a few kegs, no mold. Oxyclean and water, like it never happened

Back