Mold in secondary - pt II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkrogue

Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this was already posted, today in fact, but I need some help. I made an Oktoberfest ale about four weeks ago. It was all swell about two wks ago and today getting ready to bottle I noticed this. It's a little dark but those are white bubbles floating on top, obv some sort of mold. Is it possible that this cld be salvaged? Any help wld be appreciated, this is my first bad batch (5th batch overall).

Thx in advance

image-2498303423.jpg

Was going to bottle, now I'm googling pellicle and not feeling optimistic....thx yooper

Yeah, that sucks. I think it's just too much headspace, at a maybe too warm temperature. The only thing I can think of is to let it go (and it'll get uglier) and see if you get a decent sour (not likely). Or, you can bottle quickly and drink quickly before it sours. I'd be a little concerned about the bottles, though, and keep it in a rubbermaid bin. If you were kegging, I'd say, "**** it. Keg it. Drink it" but there might be a slight chance of bottle bombs if some wild yeast is fermenting in there.

Do I need to do anything special to clean the carboy. I wld normally clean with either a dish detergent nd most recently started using PBw. I sanitize with starsan. Thx all.

Or you could bottle it and try to pass it off as a saison or brett beer....;)
"Whadda ya mean tastes crappy?? This is a great Belgian farmhouse ale dude!"

Latest posts

Back