Mold in Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StarSan is a mix of acids. Not all tubing is going to be fully resistant to that, especially if you let it sit in it for a while. I always rinse any non-glass stuff before storing it.

I might have that book. I don't think I ever brewed that though. I was planning to ask the questions you have been asking about Starsan. I might go back to hot water for sanitizing. If I knew how to store my tubing properly it would almost be unnecessary to sanitize. I stored them in Starsan and now they are milky and funky looking.
I've used my tubing far longer than recommended. I clean/sanitize before and after use. Before I put tubing away I take it outside hold it in the center and whip in a circle as hard/fast as I can. this drives most of the fluid out the ends. I than hang them in an upside down U shape. They seem to dry well enough and have not yet grown anything funky.

If I knew how to store my tubing properly it would almost be unnecessary to sanitize

I can't say that what I do is proper, but for over 25 years my tubing has been washed, rinsed, and draped over a post of the shelving that holds, among other things, brewing supplies in a closet in my basement. I've never had an infection. My experience is that at least with simple equipment cleanliness is enough.

Edit: M posted while I was writing. I do the whirling thing too. But I do not reclean before use.

Last edited:
If I knew how to store my tubing properly it would almost be unnecessary to sanitize. I stored them in Starsan and now they are milky and funky looking.
I wouldn't let that stop me from using Star San. Just store tubing dry and sanitize just before using. I leave mine hanging so it can dry out.

I found that the combination of oxy (one step ) and contact acid (star San) can lower over all cost. One step does the heavy lifting and will kill a good amount of germs. (Hospitals prefer to use an oxy as a disinfectant) and I never had an issue using it as the only cleans sanitizer. But that got expensive and yet it has a short shelf life.

now I make up a gal of one step (1 tbl ). And 2 qts of starsan (2ml). Everything gets a good cleaning with one step and a soak. Then the fermenter or keg gets a goods swish of star san before going into the spray bottle. Everything else gets a spray as I go.

I find this combination very economical and effective.

All great info. I use powdered Oxyclean and TSP in a 7:3 ratio. 3 oz of nonphosphate TSP and 7 oz of Oxyclean. I was looking to see if Oxyclean would suffice as a sanitizer a year ago at the beginning of the Scamdemic when I still believed. I found the recipe as a substitute for PWB. We call it magic goo now because it cleans like a mofo. When I started brewing around 1990 I used boiling water and tongs to sanitize tubing and everything else that needs sanitizing.

Just to avoid any Brits getting confused, I'm pretty sure the UK 'easyclean' is a direct starsan clone (starsan is expensive here).
IMG_20210322_103259.jpg
IMG_20210322_103249.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_103249.jpg
    IMG_20210322_103249.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210322_103259.jpg
    IMG_20210322_103259.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I just happened across this. I hope some of the smart chemistry guys weigh in here. It seems like it would be safe for a sanitizer but what do I know?
"The solution should be diluted to prevent tissue damage. The recipe from the CPG is for a “half strength” that then gets diluted for actual use. Only make up the solution as needed. The components store perfectly fine on their own. The recipe is 1L of boiled water(let cool to room temp before use to prevent burns to casualty), 5ml (or 1tsp) of household unscented bleach, and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Dilute this 1:10 with water for use. Dakins solution should be used liberally for full effect." Dakins solution

Starsan is just phosphoric acid with a surfactant. It is not a mixture of acids.

The building blocks of life are: Carbon, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus. Look up the Redfield Ratio if you're interested, that is the relative amount of each of those components in typical lifeforms. Adding phosphoric acid to water and then having that solution in the presence of air (it contains carbon and nitrogen) and you have what's necessary to support life.

The big problem with Starsan is that it does not kill mold spores. As the OP found out, they can eventually take hold and grow...even in this solution of "sanitizer".

Latest posts

Back