Mold in basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
A mold removal company just came to my house to check out mold in my attic and in my basement. Attic mold was from poorly installed dryer vent. Mold in my basement is most likely because it was wet at some point and didn't dry properly. It has been there since I moved in over 3 years ago. It hasn't gotten worse and it really isn't all that bad. It is mostly on the bottom of the dry wall.

So my question is, could this mold affect anything brewing wise? I store everything down in my basement. All my equipment, my fermentation fridge and my keezer.

As long as you sanitize everything that touches the cooled wort you are fine.

^^^^^

What "beeber" said. Our basement is well populated by mold, which coexists with the spiders. I use standard cleaning / sanitizing procedures, and have never had beer infected by mold. Or anything else.

There's mold floating all around our houses.

You just breathed some in...

Yuck.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You don't have to worry unless you are sure about your barrels are well sealed. I think it is quite common to have mold problems in the basement, because we do have the mold problem every year. One thing you should do is keep a regular check on these things. Every now and then just check all the corners for any signs and clean them when you see the hints of the growth. We had severe problem ones and we had to call in professional mold removal service in our area. After that we do keep a regular check.

Agreed. One precaution I take is to bring my fermenters up from the basement before adding any hops, candi sugar, etc. Opening them in my basement leads to infections.

Another big thing to keep an eye on if you have mold issues is the water in your airlocks. If you are aging a beer for an extended period, make sure that the airlocks are full and there isn't any mold growing in the airlock itself.

I posted this back in April 2014 lol I had two companies come in and both said the basement mold is nothing. Not even worth removing

Latest posts

Back