Mold in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneHawk

Reaction score
I just moved a carboy of mead to the front of the counter so it has time to settle before I rack it and I noticed that there is mold IN the airlock. I don't see any mold in the carboy but I don't know how to proceed.

I started this mead back in March and I was waiting until fermentation stopped to rack it, then life got in the way and it totally slipped my mind for the last month and a half or so.

How would you proceed?

I would just clean out the airlock and sanitize and carry on. I don't know much about mold to be honest but that's just what I would do.

I just moved a carboy of mead to the front of the counter so it has time to settle before I rack it and I noticed that there is mold IN the airlock. I don't see any mold in the carboy but I don't know how to proceed.

I started this mead back in March and I was waiting until fermentation stopped to rack it, then life got in the way and it totally slipped my mind for the last month and a half or so.

How would you proceed?
I've got something similar. 10 or 11 demi-john/jugs/carboys that are aging. All showing some mold type on the open/air side of the locks, with nothing showing inside the batches.

I now have a few spare airlocks, so for the moment, I've dropped a half a campden tablet into each lock, which should, in theory, neutralise the possible mold issue with any spores being in the water, and will be giving them all a damned good clean/rinse through over the next day or so........

Then the water in the cleaned airlocks with be replaced with sulphite liquid........

Should be fine...as treachoroustexan said, clean, sanitize, should be good to go....is it safe to assume there was sufficient liquid in the airlock to prevent air from getting in? If so, I wouldn't worry .... taste a sample before bottling/kegging to rest assured, but I'd bet it's fine

Back