Modular-Volume Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maerok

Reaction score
So I'm working on my first all-grain setup. The 62qt SS kettle is in the mail and now I'm working on the mash tun. With batch sparging it looks like this is all I'll need for now.

I have a 75 qt rectangular cooler which I've gotten for really cheap. The issue is that I'm sure this will be too big (too thin a grain bed) for my more common 5 gallon brewing operations and I want to have a setup that'll last my 'career'. Seems cheaper than having to buy something small and then just ending up buying this down the road anyway.

The cooler has two slots in the sides as you can see:
5_L15_Ee5_U53_K33_M73_Ffc6abd0d04af7ba31e24.jpg

I'm thinking I can cut a piece of Plexiglass/aluminum to the profile of the cooler and wrap the edges in some kind of tubular gasket to act as a divider which can be set into place with a few hammer taps. This will allow for 75qt, ~50qt, and ~25 qt volumes all in the same unit. Food-grade silicon sealant can help to build up more of a lip to catch the divider.

chest.png

For the manifold, three separate interlocking H-shaped CPVC pieces can be used in different numbers to account for the three volume settings. Or maybe I'll just find a long bazooka screen which can be folded up for the lower volume settings. A threaded/snug end cap will be needed when using one or two segments.

strainer.png

Project name: Cerberus.

Worst comes to worst, if I need less volume for a thicker grain bed I can just fill a Hefty bag with bricks and put it inside. :D With the trapezoidal slots I'm thinking I can whip up a wicked false bottom to hang from those edges.

Back