Modified NB Caribou Slobber? Think this will work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElCid79

Reaction score
****2lb Maris Otter (Not in the original recipe, but I think it might be nice?)
.25lb Caramel 80l
.25 Chocolate
.13 Black Malt

1lb amber dry extract
6lb amber liquid extract

1oz Golding 60m.
1oz Liberty 45m
1oz Williamette 15m

1lb amber dry extract
6lb amber liquid extract

I want to try modifying the caribou slobber recipe. I was thinking about adding a bit of Marris Otter thoughts?

Why wouldn't it be a good idea? You are adding a personal touch, base grains for flavor, increasing the gravity, taking a step towards partial mashing, among others. A lot of positives rolled into one, in my opinion.

I've been partial mashing for a while. Love doing it. I use a little 3 gal cooler. And a screen manifold that I made as a filter. Works well.

Looks Good. Why not bump up your maris otter a little more and eliminate the dry extract? This would reduce cost (grain is cheaper), put more of a personal touche on it and lead you more down the path of total recipe design from scratch in the future. Just a thought. This is how I stepped from buying kits to piecing my own together, modifying them, etc. to finally working up recipes from scratch. A little at a time. A small change here and there will show you what flavors show up or disappear, what contributes what, etc.

Most of all...have fun!

Tony

Well bc NB was giving away the kit for free if you spent a certain amount of money. Haha. So I got the kit just because I ordered a brew pot. Haha.

Back