Mocha mead idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLExpat

Reaction score
Looking to make a 1 gallon test batch. Steeping 2 oz. ground coffee at room temp for 12 hours, then pour into 50-50 mix of honey and water. Adding 2 oz cacao nibs, then yeast nutrient, energizer, and bread yeast.

This is one of the first experimental meads I've been wanting to try as well. There are a couple of threads either in this forum, or somewhere else that I turned up when googling coffee mead the other day.

So sounds good to me! I like the idea of cold-brewing the coffee and using that is the liquid. Especially with a nice, smooth, quality coffee.

Any reason you were wanting to use bread yeast?

50/50 honey/water works out to be about 1.207 og. You might want to scale it down to 1/4. I've used cocoa nibs before and couldn't pick them out. I only used 4.5 oz for five gallons though. I think a powder like dutch cocoa might work better though.

I'm trying to do a banana and chocolate melomel at the moment and I am trying it by adding water that has had bananas stewed in it to honey. For the chocolate flavour I am soaking cocoa beans in vodka and will add this when I age. Might be something to consider :)

I've used bread yeast for some other batches and the flavors seem to come through better. I'm going to use four pounds of honey so I'm not sure it will be 50/50.

Back