MoBasic Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
Howdy:

I'm going to make an assumption - Many of us are guilty of of going too far with a recipe. We (I mean me) need to "get back to basics" as it were instead of going "hmm, maybe this special B with a little Munich and a little light crystal might be nice.

I am thinking about making a batch that uses NO specialty grains, moderate bittering, and maybe a little aroma hops...Purely as an attempt to understand my base beer before I start screwing around with specialty grain additions. I think it might be good for my general understanding of the hobby.

10#s 2 row Pils.

Thats it. :)

Anyone have any experience on this? I've always taken the approach of "why not throw in a pound of * "

Am I going to end up with a BMC with a little more flavour owing to the use of ad-junks?

Do you think this is a good idea? Should I have myself commited?
(Interesting side note, I was told last that all it would take to commit me would be a phone call from a paramedic desperately trying to show the group his "power." I told him to go ahead, I could use the extra money from the lawsuit :) )

Sounds like a blonde ale to me. I suppose depending on the bitterness, it could be an ordinary bitter or a pilsener if you lager it. I plan to do a blonde and really basic APA next batches.

Bobby_M said:
Sounds like a blonde ale to me. I suppose depending on the bitterness, it could be an ordinary bitter or a pilsener if you lager it. I plan to do a blonde and really basic APA next batches.

Sounds simple enough to me. It just seems that every recipe I see has a little crystal or a little something else in it, and I want to have an extremely simple beer to get more in touch with the most basic of beer flavours. I need to understand my canvas before I worry about the paints.

Use a single hop variety for maximum simplicity.

There is a recipe similar to this in the Pale Ale style book. I think its called "Squeaky Clean".

Back