Mmmm, I love English ales!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny013

Reaction score
Here is my latest stash -

beer_1.jpg

All are singles except the Abbot Ale and the Old Speckled Hen which are the 4-packs of cans. Also SWMBO's pops also gave me a 12'er of Bass and a 6'er of Smithwicks, but I forgot to throw those in the pic.

All in all, some delicious stuff!

English beers are my favorites. Smooth, malty, and enough complexity to make even a session ale a great beer. How's the Black Sheep?

I love me some Duchy's English Ale. Whatever else you might say about Prince Charles, he makes a mean beer.

Nice to see some St Peter's brews in there; I used to drink them occasionally when I lived in London. There was an interesting piece on a BBC radio show last weekend about John Murphy who started St Peter's. Apparently he started up the brewery with the specific idea of marketing English ales outside of the UK. It would seem he's done a pretty good job!

I saw a 6er of speckled hen at my local Meijer. I would have bought it, if it wasn't in a clear bottle.... on the top shelf.

Yeah I'd skip the Speckled Hen in clear bottles. I bought a 6'er once and was pleasantly surprised by delicious skunked ale...

The widget cans are good though.

I had a really nice English Ale last weekend at Taco Mac while watching the Alabama v. Georgia game. I asked the waitress for some kind of English Brown Ale on draft, and I think maybe it was called "Boddington's" or "Dunnington's" ? something like that. Anyway it was very very good. Can't find anything really like it here in Alabama though, American brown ale is not the same thing - too hoppy.

We now have Marsten's in the big city. I tried them for the first time at the Flatlander's beer festival a few weeks ago. I really like their IPA.

I just had a Hobgoblin the other day. I must say that I am convinced I must brew some. It will be my first AG, followed by an attempt at St. Peter's Cream Stout!

Back