MM2, 3 - Losing set? Cranken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as far as motors I use an old blueprint machine gear reduction motor and it works perfect... very strong and variable speed.. made a cheap ac to dc power converter with a $7 light dimmer and $3 bridge rectifier to power the 110v dc motor.

'kay, translation needed. I now have the K3 and a DC 1/4 HP motor at 125 RPM and torque of 90 lb-in. Outside of that filter speed controller I posted above, can you please help me understand what I need to do for this solution? Thanks, Augie.

Guys, also just want to make sure I haven't just walked rather stupidly into an unusable motor:

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks.

Finding as I'm going, so I hope I'm not drowning with questions. I actually did find keyless hubs in Lovejoys in both 12mm and 5/8, but they were L-070 size code. Both indicated torque ratings as:

114 (Bronze) in·lb
114 (Thermoplastic Elastomer) in·lb
43.2 (Nitrile) in·lb
65 (Urethane) in·lb

-I believe it's the thermoplastic elastomer solid spider I use, right? And if the motor is rated at 90 ft-in, does that means we're OK? Or with grain, that torque will spike higher, and I might blow the spider and the couplings? Just having a tough time finding L-075, even if looking for the 15/32's, which many people advocated as a 12 mm fit on the Kegco thread. Thanks.

Edit: Duh, right? The thermo. elastomer material is the hubs themselves? If so, I guess, same question - if rated to 114, and my motor is 90, are good, or will spikes be a problem?

Sorry, very confused as I'm only seeing bronze, nitrile and urethane spiders, but on the couplings page they said the couplings are made out of an elastomeric material. Yet the couplings are listed as sintered iron, etc. Obviously I have some homework to do - sorry to waste the bandwidth, admins and all.

Guys, also just want to make sure I haven't just walked rather stupidly into an unusable motor:
No that will work.. I'll look for the you tube video I used to build my power supply.
As augie says, you're good with that motor.

I actually did find keyless hubs in Lovejoys in both 12mm and 5/8, but they were L-070 size code. Both indicated torque ratings as:

114 (Bronze) in·lb
114 (Thermoplastic Elastomer) in·lb
43.2 (Nitrile) in·lb
65 (Urethane) in·lb

-I believe it's the thermoplastic elastomer solid spider I use, right? And if the motor is rated at 90 ft-in, does that means we're OK? Or with grain, that torque will spike higher, and I might blow the spider and the couplings? Just having a tough time finding L-075, even if looking for the 15/32's, which many people advocated as a 12 mm fit on the Kegco thread. Thanks.

Edit: Duh, right? The thermo. elastomer material is the hubs themselves? If so, I guess, same question - if rated to 114, and my motor is 90, are good, or will spikes be a problem?

Sorry, very confused as I'm only seeing bronze, nitrile and urethane spiders, but on the couplings page they said the couplings are made out of an elastomeric material. Yet the couplings are listed as sintered iron, etc. Obviously I have some homework to do - sorry to waste the bandwidth, admins and all.

I really suggest you go with the L075, as it has 3 prongs, whereas the L070 has only 2, thus ~2:1 difference in torque. You'd probably be OK with the L070, but I'd just be more conservative. The price on these couplings from Amazon is all over the place depending on the particular model. They're a little bigger, but you could even step up to L090 size.

Does your motor shaft not have a keyway? Mine did, so I'd expect yours to. My motor didn't come with the key, but I was able to buy a piece of key stock at a local H/W store (Ace or True Value, not big box). If it did, then the coupling you would want is probably Lovejoy 10688. I'm not sure what the L075 P/N is with a 12mm bore and no keyway. However, unless the set screw is not long enough to use a "keyway" part w/o a key, then you could use this one, Lovejoy 44153. If you go L075, you'll want the 10621 spider. You definitely want the SOX elastomer spider, as it gives you some cushion. Its torque rating isn't as high as the rigid ones, like bronze.

You may need to go to Lovejoy's website to make sure the model numbers you need. Then you can google to see who has them. As I posted a while back, Grainger also carries couplings from several different manufacturers.

Regarding trying to buy a motor controller, Bodine, KB Electronics, and Dart all make similar products. If you can't find a deal on one on ebay in a timeframe you're comfortable with, then you can go the DIY route. These things list for a few hundred dollars, but you can occasionally find one on ebay for well under $100.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still looking for the video that explains it but I did find the wiring schematic ill can and upload for you after work.. its really fairly simple even though it sounds complicated.
In the mean time you'll need a bridge rectifier and heatsink like this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50A-1000V-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

BTW I just found this motor kit for this mill for $199 which is a pretty fair deal for others looking.. reviews state it works fine in the states even though the sticker says 50hz power

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/TRIPLE-ROLLER-GRAIN-MILL-MOTORIZING-KIT-P4173.aspx
they also have a wooded base for $17 (everything is keg king branded but its the same mill)

In the mean time you'll need a bridge rectifier and heatsink like this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50A-1000V-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
You can get away with something smaller than a 50A/1000V bridge, but at $2.09, just go with it (assuming your Chinese part will be reliable).

BTW I just found this motor kit for this mill for $199 which is a pretty fair deal for others looking.. reviews state it works fine in the states even though the sticker says 50hz power

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/TRIPLE-ROLLER-GRAIN-MILL-MOTORIZING-KIT-P4173.aspx
they also have a wooded base for $17 (everything is keg king branded but its the same mill)
Williams still has the same photo, so I don't know if they've made a change, but they used to advertise this as 180 Hz when they first released it.

I contacted Williams with the following:

I really can't say that your info is wrong, but I expect it is. I assume the motor is made in China, where the AC power is 50 Hz. Since the motor (5KB90-B401) is specified only at 1350 rpm for 50Hz and the reducer must be part number 5KB-7.5, I would logically conclude that the reducer ratio is 7.5. Therefore the output speed would be 180 rpm (1350/7.5) when operated at 50 Hz. Since your US customers will be operating with 60 Hz AC power, the output speed will be 20% higher, or 216 rpm. On top of that, 1350 rpm is low for an AC induction motor at 50 Hz. They typically run at ~1440/1725 rpm at 50/60 Hz, in which case the 60 Hz speed would be 230 rpm. However, the speed does vary with load (torque), so the slower speed might be for operation at full load.

I'm an electrical engineer and homebrewer who is in the process of motorizing my own mill, so I had looked at your product as an option while doing research on motor options. Most AC gearmotors used for grain milling use a 10:1 gear reducer to provide a nominal output speed of ~170-175 rpm. There's not really anything too wrong with operating slightly faster, but I don't think it's most likely really operating at 180 Hz. The other significant factor is that the torque is inversely proportional to the speed and the gear reduction; thus, if this had a 10:1 reducer instead of 7.5:1, the output torque would be 33% higher (10/7.5). With what might be an undersized 90W motor, this is important.

Feel free to use my explanation to communicate with your supplier. My expectation is that you would have a better product if they replaced the 5KB-7.5 reducer with a 5KB-10.

Here's Williams' response, which is the last I heard from them. There definitely aren't any motor experts at Williams (or almost any other homebrew supply company).
I will forward your reply to the owner so he can decide how to possibly change our web description to be more accurate, or ask the necessary questions to our supplier.
-Tom

You can get away with something smaller than a 50A/1000V bridge, but at $2.09, just go with it (assuming your Chinese part will be reliable).

I own 2 of the same rectifiers myself and have been using the one for 3 years now..I grabbed that link from my ebay history.. I imagine 80% or more of these available there are from china whether bought with bigger markups or not through others..

Perhaps the overkill is why I dont have any issues with mine overheating?

I own 2 of the same rectifiers myself and have been using the one for 3 years now..I grabbed that link from my ebay history.. I imagine 80% or more of these available there are from china whether bought with bigger markups or not through others..

Perhaps the overkill is why I dont have any issues with mine overheating?
Good to hear it's working reliably for you. There's no overheating in the diode bridge because the load current is only ~3A max. Even without that heatsink, that huge bridge could easily dissipate the few Watts. The heat issue (assuming the variable pot controlling the voltage is dropping the voltage as the speed is reduced) would be in the pot, not the bridge. I expect that the motor's torque is high only when it 1st starts up with grain in the hopper. After that, the torque is fairly low; therefore, the motor current, which is linearly proportional to torque, and in turn the power in the pot, will be low most of the time.

Thanks guys. Still absolutely clueless but just a touch less so before your information. When I built the only electronic thing I've done, a pid controlled heating system for a 4 gallon cheese vat - I do at least remember having to put in heat sink. Impressive, I know.

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but would it simplify things to just turn the motor/mill on, without any speed control? My presumption is that the torque is more than enough at the motor's max speed, and if it's not, then I can turn it on then pour the grain in. Anything to make things simpler is pretty good with this extremely techno-challenged dude. Have no idea whether this is anything useful because I haven't truly sat down with it and followed the ideas to learn more elsewhere. But basically, what about this - a very simple AC-DC power supply? (again, please understand I know zero; I sort of understand the logic now of switching from AC - DC power, but would have no idea how to actually wire the motor to use the power supply). Perhaps it's just simpler after all, what you two are talking about, with variable speed control?

That filtered speed control, I saw it was $200+, so yeah, much more than I would want to spend. We actually have an outfit right here in town, that sells Lovejoys (pretty funny, wasn't aware of that until putting on a cart), so that's good, just need to get the motor safely going now.

(BTW - the only Lovejoys I could find were L-090s, which is great with me, but they are keyway-based hubs. I understand from here, and the dealer, actually, that's no big deal).

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but would it simplify things to just turn the motor/mill on, without any speed control? My presumption is that the torque is more than enough at the motor's max speed, and if it's not, then I can turn it on then pour the grain in. Anything to make things simpler is pretty good with this extremely techno-challenged dude. Have no idea whether this is anything useful because I haven't truly sat down with it and followed the ideas to learn more elsewhere. But basically, what about this - a very simple AC-DC power supply? (again, please understand I know zero; I sort of understand the logic now of switching from AC - DC power, but would have no idea how to actually wire the motor to use the power supply). Perhaps it's just simpler after all, what you two are talking about, with variable speed control?
Don't feel stupid or bad. I've been doing this stuff for 36 years, so I have a slight advantage. What augie has suggested is basically what you're asking about, except it's even simpler than your example. It's just a light dimmer (variable resistor or potentiometer/pot) to vary/reduce the input voltage, the diode bridge, and a large capacitor to smooth out the ripple (turning AC to DC). You just have to be very careful, because you don't have a transformer to isolate (protect) you from the 120V AC line (but neither do most of the speed controllers).

That filtered speed control, I saw it was $200+, so yeah, much more than I would want to spend.
I absolutely understand. To go that route, you need a little patience and luck. While it would be nice (and best) to have an enclosed controller, you could certainly use one of the open frame ones; you jut need a "safe" place to mount it out of the way to your mill stand. I think this is the motor you have. You may be able to use any of the controllers under Model 4182 Matching Controls. There are also some options that would work for you from KB Electronics:

KBPW-240D
KBWD-13 - Here's one for $77
KBWD-16 - $56
KBWT-16

These are all PWM controllers, which output up to 130V, which is the voltage at which your motor is rated for 125rpm and full torque. You have to buy a plug-in HP resistor for all these KB controllers. You'd probably be fine with any of the SCR controllers, which specify operation up to 90VDC. Although the cost is more, the advantage of a controller is that it has a lot of protections to keep you from frying your motor. That's not to say that the simple DIY route will fry it, but there's more risk.

We actually have an outfit right here in town, that sells Lovejoys (pretty funny, wasn't aware of that until putting on a cart), so that's good, just need to get the motor safely going now.

(BTW - the only Lovejoys I could find were L-090s, which is great with me, but they are keyway-based hubs. I understand from here, and the dealer, actually, that's no big deal).
Nothing wrong with using L090s; they're just bigger and bulkier than necessary. As long as the set screw is long enough, I don't see any problem using a keyway hub when you don't have one. If you can take your motor and mill into the local dealer and check them, then you should be good.

Thanks guys. Still absolutely clueless but just a touch less so before your information. When I built the only electronic thing I've done, a pid controlled heating system for a 4 gallon cheese vat - I do at least remember having to put in heat sink. Impressive, I know.

That filtered speed control, I saw it was $200+, so yeah, much more than I would want to spend. We actually have an outfit right here in town, that sells Lovejoys (pretty funny, wasn't aware of that until putting on a cart), so that's good, just need to get the motor safely going now.

It would actually be easier for you to build an ac to dc powersupply because your motor runs on 130v you would just use the bridge rectifier like I linked and no transformer or smoothing capacitor needed.. thats for stepping the voltage to say 12 or 24v and smoothing the wave which isnt needed for driving a motor you would then be running it on 120v dc which will power the motor fine. If you wanted speed control you just wire a dimmer in the 120v AC line going to the rectifier.. the whole thing with a $6 plastic enclosure could be picked up at the home depot for under $20 with power cord and such..(minus the rectifier)

It would actually be easier for you to build an ac to dc powersupply because your motor runs on 130v you would just use the bridge rectifier like I linked and no transformer or smoothing capacitor needed ... you would then be running it on 120v dc which will power the motor fine. If you wanted speed control you just wire a dimmer in the 120v AC line going to the rectifier
No, the smoothing capacitor is needed. Without it, you don't have DC, but rectified AC, as shown in the AC Power Rectified Graph in your referenced tutorial. You want the AC Power Smoothed Graph. A DC motor can operate from the rectified AC, but will perform better and be more efficient with a lower ripple input voltage.

I recommend including the dimmer even if you don't intend to vary speed, as that will allow you to adjust the output voltage. You don't get 120VDC from 120VAC (which BTW is unregulated and may be anywhere from 110-132 VAC). 120VAC provides 170V peak AC (120 x √2), which after rectifying and filtering might be ~140-160VDC with ripple.

That KB ELECTRONICS KBWD-16 controller I linked to is only $56 for a new surplus unit (plus the power resistor). Given your lack of experience, I'd recommend that path (but there's still nothing wrong with augie's recommended approach).

One more thing you'll need is a way to mount the motor to your table/stand. I initially tried some heavy L brackets from HD or Lowe's, but ended up buying the "L" Bracket Kit for "E", "F", and "FX" gearmotors [model 0969], which had much less vibration and movement, which will make your motor and mill last much longer.

OK guys, many, many thanks while I chew these thoughts.

Cbier, in your first paragraph, you caution to be careful, as I won't be having a transformer to isolate the AC current. Did you mean, personal safety, or the potential of frying the motor?

I have to say, the simplicity of using a controller appeals to me. Though I'd love to learn more about electronics, if I can get a couple components (e.g., 1/4 H.P. resistor, or recommended heat sink), wire up and mount and I'm good, that is really appealing. Costs, of course.

Which raises the next question. Those with open chassis, you mention to mount out of the way. Are these literally mounted as I see them, like a ....sorry, I'm sure this is wrong....circuit board, basically exposed? Or do they and any wiring go in some sort of junction or project box, then mounted? Facile question, I know....

Augie:

Seems speed control then, is not any complicating factor. I was just wondering if "flip the switch and run" milling was generally workable - if you load up your hopper, and hit a constant speed mill (which I think is what we did at G.I.? - or perhaps started it up then hit the malt hopper gate....forgotten), is that going to pose a problem if your motor's torque is a rated 90?

Finally, is this basically it? AC supply-power chord-dimmer-rectifier...motor?

I'm sure I've missed a million literal steps here...

Which is why I'm wondering if cbier, prudence and my own judgement leads me to think more carefully on buying a controller. You gave a lot of options, thank you. By the way, wondering if this would also work, provided I plug in the proper, 1/4HP resistor?

KB Electronics KBMD-240D (9370D) Multi-Drive Variable Speed DC Motor Control, NEMA-1

One of the answers also indicates the need for a fuse kit, know nothing about this.

Finally, I'd seen that Williams systems, Augie. It looked pretty cool and if I hadn't already bitten the bullet with this motor, I may have gone that way. Perhaps I should? - sell this motor back to ebay, and go with a more pre-fabbed setup?

At any rate, what looks like the only controller, with that red button - this looks astoundingly simple.

williams motor.jpg

Whoops, crossed in the mail. Thanks for the add'l info, cbier. I agree with you, and thank you, for the info on these controllers. Just not my comfort zone to come out fists flying with electronics, when I know zero. So I'm looking at these. Just two questions, one a repeat from above, basically.

It looks like I mount these in some sort of project box to protect them somewhat, and keep them out of the way, right?

They make reference to a "pot. (5k)...output could be used as an input signal....". Would this be the variable volt or speed control, equal to the dimmer switch of Augie's build? If so, (man, I do feel dumb, sorry), er, where does it go/a particular model or set of specs needed/how is it attached to the drive?

Finally, after all, and I've more than betrayed my lack of ability in this area, what do you guys think about those Williams motor setups; and I'd just sell thie motor on Ebay? Or do I have the chance of a nice setup here, that I actually can learn something from?

Just a note, but I confirmed with a Bodine rep mine is Model 182, which is obsolete; it was succeeded by model 4182; that, too, is obsolete; the 4182 (the page you referenced, cbier) was succeeded by the 42A5-FX line.

One, did I get hosed, ignorant as I am of this stuff? Though this (182) is new-surplus, since it's older, is there a concern of its performance and/or life?

Two, he said any of the matching controls for the 4182 work fine with the 182, as you referenced, cbier. As would any of the controls for the current model. Nice to know. Still debating an open v. closed housing (or whether you just make a closed housing out of the open one - and this is just a point of my ignorance) but you've steered me closer. Thank you, both of you.

No, the smoothing capacitor is needed. Without it, you don't have DC, but rectified AC, as shown in the AC Power Rectified Graph in your referenced tutorial. You want the AC Power Smoothed Graph. A DC motor can operate from the rectified AC, but will perform better and be more efficient with a lower ripple input voltage.

I recommend including the dimmer even if you don't intend to vary speed, as that will allow you to adjust the output voltage. You don't get 120VDC from 120VAC (which BTW is unregulated and may be anywhere from 110-132 VAC). 120VAC provides 170V peak AC (120 x √2), which after rectifying and filtering might be ~140-160VDC with ripple.

That KB ELECTRONICS KBWD-16 controller I linked to is only $56 for a new surplus unit (plus the power resistor). Given your lack of experience, I'd recommend that path (but there's still nothing wrong with augie's recommended approach).

One more thing you'll need is a way to mount the motor to your table/stand. I initially tried some heavy L brackets from HD or Lowe's, but ended up buying the "L" Bracket Kit for "E", "F", and "FX" gearmotors [model 0969], which had much less vibration and movement, which will make your motor and mill last much longer.
Ok The articles I read when setting up my power supply said it's not needed for a DC motor and it's not caused any problems in the three years I've used my power supply to drive my Mills motor so your mileage may vary. If this was some sort of device that was being used for long periods of time or used a lot of electricity I guess it might make sense to invest the extra time and money to try to make the power supply as efficient as possible but for me I've hit the point of diminishing returns. Honestly at the time I was building the power supply I was going to add capacitors because I have plenty but I could not find any information on what value or voltage to use

OK guys, a couple more.

cbier, would you mind briefly talking about the difference in specs between the KBWD 13, 16, explained perhaps by the price difference? Why would I choose one or the other, ignoring price?

Secondly, I think I now get installation. I presume a regular dimmer switch with three contacts (I presume these have "high," "wiper," and "low," like any other pot - would work as the potentiometer - this is what you're doing, right, Augie?

I know it's a lot of questions.

Need to figure out fuses for the armature, and AC line. Plugging in 9849, I get an "armature fuse block" on Amazon, but elsewhere, I believe, this is indicated as the "line fuse" and not a block, not for the armature, so a bit confused.

Finally, I presume I'll find this, but is there a duo of lines coming out of the motor that are the armature lines, to attach to A+ and A- on the chassis?

This is all interesting stuff on the speed controls, but I'm just curious as to "why" some use them, instead of setting them up direct drive or with pulleys needed, to achieve the desired speeds.

Budget not being a factor here.

I would think being reversible a more desirable option.

Stealth, personally, I can rule out pulleys. Just a leftover from a bad accident as a kid, when I nearly lost my arm at the shoulder.

By direct drive, do you just mean, an on-off switch, coupled with a lovejoy or similar? Or simply a drill?

My only hesitation with a drill really is I can't lock in the rpm. A consistent crush. Never bothered me before and I loved my fixed JSP, but I guess I'm getting goofier in my older age for replication.

Direct drive, with a gear motor, Lovejoy couplings, with a fwd. and reverse , or "crush" and "clear" switch.

I'd post a pic of mine, but I have bad luck posting pics to this site, and I gave up on PhotoBucket long ago!

I'm still on the "information dirt road". :D

Oh, man, I'd love to see some pics!!!

C'mon Stealth, you're killing me brother. "Manage attachments" doesn't work for you? Are these jpegs?

So - I have this DC motor with a 20:1 gear ratio, bringing it down to 125 RPM and 90 lb/in. I have the Lovejoys. Do you have an AC, or DC? If DC, how me make go on, and make go this way, and that? (trying to say, talk to me as an electronics infant, as I am, of course).

Man, you're keeping me busy. I'll do my best to answer the many questions. Hey I set myself up for this.
Did you mean, personal safety, or the potential of frying the motor?

Are these literally mounted as I see them, like a ....sorry, I'm sure this is wrong....circuit board, basically exposed? Or do they and any wiring go in some sort of junction or project box, then mounted?
I meant personal safety, but giving the motor its longest life is a secondary factor as well. A project box is probably recommended, to keep the 120VAC wiring safe and to minimize exposure to grain dust.

By the way, wondering if this would also work, provided I plug in the proper, 1/4HP resistor?

KB Electronics KBMD-240D (9370D) Multi-Drive Variable Speed DC Motor Control, NEMA-1

One of the answers also indicates the need for a fuse kit, know nothing about this.
I think the answer is 'no' on that unit, as I think the -240 units are 240V, which you don't need and I doubt you want. I think KB just makes you buy a fuse and HP resistor separately since their controllers are somewhat universal so that a single model can be used for a wide range of HP motors.

Finally, I'd seen that Williams systems, Augie. It looked pretty cool and if I hadn't already bitten the bullet with this motor, I may have gone that way. Perhaps I should? - sell this motor back to ebay, and go with a more pre-fabbed setup?

At any rate, what looks like the only controller, with that red button - this looks astoundingly simple.
The Williams unit will probably work, but it's a much lower power AC motor that they have imported from China. Maybe less hassle and learning curve, but not nearly as good as what you'll eventually end up with if you stick it out. That red button is just an on/off switch - no control I think.

It looks like I mount these in some sort of project box to protect them somewhat, and keep them out of the way, right?

They make reference to a "pot. (5k)...output could be used as an input signal....". Would this be the variable volt or speed control, equal to the dimmer switch of Augie's build?
Yes again on the project box. The 5K pot performs the variable speed; I hope that comes with the controller, so you'd mount it protruding through your project box. Functionally, it's similar to the dimmer, except the dimmer is dissipating a lot of power in Augie's build, whereas this one isn't.

Just a note, but I confirmed with a Bodine rep mine is Model 182, which is obsolete

One, did I get hosed, ignorant as I am of this stuff? Though this (182) is new-surplus, since it's older, is there a concern of its performance and/or life?

Two, he said any of the matching controls for the 4182 work fine with the 182, as you referenced, cbier. As would any of the controls for the current model. Nice to know. Still debating an open v. closed housing (or whether you just make a closed housing out of the open one - and this is just a point of my ignorance) but you've steered me closer.
You should be fine with that motor even though it's very old. Mine is the same vintage, and I called and talked to Bodine tech support to ask similar questions. The motor should be sealed and has a place to add oil if ever necessary (like you hear it). Closed housing is definitely preferred, but if it came down to a closed model for $200 vs an open one for $50 and a cheap project box, I know which way I'd go (and augie has already made it clear what he'd do :))

cbier, would you mind briefly talking about the difference in specs between the KBWD 13, 16, explained perhaps by the price difference? Why would I choose one or the other, ignoring price?
I think they're identical, except the 13 is rated for ~3A and the 16 for 6A. The motor pulls only 1.8A, so either will work. Therefore, buy the cheaper one.

Secondly, I think I now get installation. I presume a regular dimmer switch with three contacts (I presume these have "high," "wiper," and "low," like any other pot - would work as the potentiometer - this is what you're doing, right, Augie?
I know this was directed at augie, but the answer should be 'yes'.

Need to figure out fuses for the armature, and AC line.

Finally, I presume I'll find this, but is there a duo of lines coming out of the motor that are the armature lines, to attach to A+ and A- on the chassis?
Like I said above, I think KB just makes the fuse an add-on because the value depends on the motor HP. If you decide to go with one of those, they have a lot of info on their website, so you should be able to determine what you need. It may just be a standard fuse you can buy anywhere. And yes, there are 2 wires or terminals to add wire to that will connect to the motor terminals.

This is all interesting stuff on the speed controls, but I'm just curious as to "why" some use them

I would think being reversible a more desirable option.
Variable speed is not a necessity; it's just a nice feature that is fairly easy to achieve once you opt for a DC motor. The other nice thing about a DC motor is that you reverse it by reversing the polarity of the wires (which is what you also do with AC but can do with a small inexpensive switch). I installed this small On/Off/On switch on my motor leads for reverse operation (which I rarely have used). You'd just mount the switch to the project box next to the speed pot. But Stealth is right, reverse can be helpful if the motor jams and can't handle the torque.

Whew! Hope that will do for a while.

It most definitely will, cbier. I know I dragged you in to a maelstrom and know what that's like; I'm not unaware of your time and generosity, so sincerely, thanks very much. Have a good weekend.

After checking in on this thread occasionally, I sure do feel inferior powering my mills with a slow speed 1/2" corded drill mounted on the mill table. Motor, controller, and coupling all in one box for $45. Probably won't last 30-40 years like a nice gear motor :)

After checking in on this thread occasionally, I sure do feel inferior powering my mills with a slow speed 1/2" corded drill mounted on the mill table. Motor, controller, and coupling all in one box for $45. Probably won't last 30-40 years like a nice gear motor :)

Yeah, but does it go vroom?

Hey, I used my drill for several years. I t worked fine, but I had to hold it during the whole milling process, and I had to control the speed by "feel". It's not a necessity, but it's nice to just dump the grains and come back later after doing other things.

Hey, I used my drill for several years. I t worked fine, but I had to hold it during the whole milling process, and I had to control the speed by "feel". It's not a necessity, but it's nice to just dump the grains and come back later after doing other things.

Same here... I could just have my LHBS grind my grain as well.. We all have different opinions about whats "enough" as far as equipment goes.. for me it was the fact that I had a box of different motors in my garage already and drills weren't intended to last all that long with long continuous use

Thanks very much guys. This thread has been a ton of help. Augie, on the KBWD material, they show a pot to be connected directly to the board. I don't see a bridge rectifier on the board, but I won't belabor how little I know. Is this what you do, or would do, with a dimmer switch like yours? Just connect it to the high/sweep/low on the board?

Stealth, beautiful and thanks for the pic. Sorry for the ignorance once again, but if I could ask a few questions.

Your motor is AC, yes? I see it's Borg-Warner. Would you mind telling me the model?

3 "parts": Your switch, is it this Grainger? Does it have to be wired to some type of control board, and that's basically a project box?

I know this is REALLY dumb, but that's simply a wiring cover, jutting out from the motor, yes?

Finally, is that a gearbox at the very end, for RPM reduction? Did you do this yourself, or did it come with the motor?

Lotta questions guys, just a new thing for me and I find it fascinating. Thanks.

AC, yes.
I'd have to look @ the specs tomorrow, but wilco.

Standard industrial outlet box, with flex conduit, and water tight / dust tight connectors.

I have 1/4 aluminum tubing stanchions under the box now, conduit level.

I bought it a couple of years back, from a member of this M B, and been sitting on it.

No Electrician here, but methinks the switch is known as an SPDT.
Attached directly to the side of the motor, is a junction box basically, to make the motor connections for reversing , then conduit to the switch housing.

Thanks Stealth. Things are in a bit of flux, not heard from the seller of this other one (DC), but AC appeals to me as well. A switch, one speed, go. So I'd like to learn more about your approach as well. Pretty damn clean.

What more you wanna' know?
It's mounted to a 1" thick piece of Nylon I had,and that is to be mounted to a Horrible Freight "universal" work table.

Said table is a little flimsy, lateral rigidity wise, and I'm currently putting some handle / stiffeners on it, so it can be rolled around hand truck style.

Thanks Stealth. Looks like this might be it. Amazon, over $600 new!:eek: But gives some sniffing to do. Thanks again. Very cool solution.

Back