MLT's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfernoBrews

Reaction score
Ok just wondering what everyone has or uses for your MLT?

10 gal Rubbermaid Berverage Cooler,5 gal Rubbermaid Beverage Cooler, Igloo. ect................ Lets here the Size type, and your pros and cons!

Ok just wondering what everyone has or uses for your MLT?

10 gal Rubbermaid Berverage Cooler,5 gal Rubbermaid Beverage Cooler, Igloo. ect................ Lets here the Size type, and your pros and cons!

I use a 5 gallon igloo round water cooler with a bazooka tube for 5 gallon batches and a 12 gallon igloo rectangular cooler with a copper tube drilled manifold for 10 gallon batches.

I have 3 MLT's. A keggle with a false bottom, 1/2" SS pick-up tube and wrapped with foil covered bubble wrap insulation., a 62 qt. Coleman X-treme, and a 37 qt Coleman X-treme, both with drilled PVC pipe manifolds. I like the keggle the best. The shape is easy to stir, I can add direct heat with a turkey fryer, and the false bottom is great. The 62 X-treme broke it's cherry this weekend. I don't like the shape as it has wheels so it has steps on the bottom and sides which make stirring a bit more difficult. It seemed to hold heat well though, and the wheels were nice as I was pulling it out into the back yard to dump it. My 37 qt is great for 5 gallon batches. It used to have a braid in it, but I traded it in for a PVC manifold. I have actually done several 18#, 10 gallon batches with it, but I had to build a sparging manifold and use the modified batch/fly sparge technique. I batch sparge with the keggle and 62 qt cooler.

I have a 3 gal rectangular cooler for low gravity beers and a 12 gal rectangular one for average/big beers. The latter has a proper manifold for fly sparging but I mostly use a SS braid and batch sparge these days.

If you are thinking of doing big beers (like 1.090+) a 12g will be better then a 10g.

GT

10 gallon rubbermai with a SS false bottom

Never a stuck mash

Excellent heat retention

Easy to clean

Cheap

10 gallon Coleman beverage cooler
Drilled CPVC manifold
No stuck mashes, easy to clean, good heat retention and got the cooler off eBay real cheap.

I have a 5 gallon Lowe's water cooler with a false bottom. I'd like a 10 gallon one, but it does the trick.

5 gallon round Igloo with a foam filled lid, a "How To Brew" SS braid loop and a "Pol" rubber stopper thermometer mod.

Eventually, I will probably have a 10 gallon rubbermaid, when I get my all electric set up done. That could be a year away, though.

10 gallon round igloo with a 1/2" SS braid. Large enough for any 5 gallon batch and average 10 gallon batches.

Right now it's a tall squarish Rubbermaid cooler that holds heat very well. Next will be a Coleman extreme 70Qt.

I'm using a 7 gallon coleman, that actually works quite well, but it's too small and is holding me back from doing bigger beers. I'll be getting a 10 gallon soon.

Coleman Xtreme 70 with a copper manifold. Works for anything from a 5 gallon normal batch up to a 10 gallon big beer. For small 5 gallon batches I use a 5 gallon beverage cooler with a braid.

skip the 5 gallon cooler if you want to use more than about 12lbs of grain efficiently, imho.... i just picked up a 10 gallon @ home depot for a steal. they had a tag for $39.97, but it was an additional 10% off when the cashier rang it up.... i paid $40 and some change out the door.

should went that way in the beginning...

I have 2 Igloo 10 gallon water coolers. I only use one but at 16$ each I thought I may eventually go to and electric HLT . I bought them last year at this time from HD when they were switching to Rubbermade coolers .

Back