MLT sealant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grüner Brauer

Reaction score
I have a leak in my MLT (48qt rubbermaid). What is a safe sealant for the inside around the nipple? I've heard silicone is ok, but just any silicone caulk from home depot?

They have stuff meant for aquariums near the glues and epoxies.

Have you figured out why it's leaking? I'd try to fix the root cause before smearing all kinds of goop in there.

Some people will object, but JB Weld. Perfectly food safe. Used it on the inside of my cooler and never had an off flavor.

Finding the root cause would be better, but JB Weld otherwise!

Ive narrowed it down to a bad seal on the inside of the cooler. I tighened it as hard as i could, and the leak is almost fixed but it does still leak a little. I have had JB weld holding both of my side view mirrors for 6 years on my car!!

I may have under tightened at first. I have this fear of puncturing the whole cooler. I don't know if i should try to tighten it more or use a sealant.

The walls aren't all that strong to take an adequate tightening which is why I suggest providing a filler between the two walls. One method is to take a piece of PVC pipe cut to the length that is the distance between the two walls, then drilling the outside wall just large enough to slip it in. It's held in by the washer you put on the outside.

As posted above I would add a spacer preventing crushing the two liners but with some compression before butting against and tightening up.
Go to a Napa or a good auto parts store and get "The Right Stuff" made by Permatex. Wipe off the excess before it sets up after it's assembled. It comes out like those pressurized cheeze toppings a soft black rubber material. let it set up overnight. It's used in many automotive locations as OEM for oil, coolant and ATF. If for ATF that tranny will be running above 212*F. I would think good for the boil kettle also.
I see no harmful health effects coming off cured rubber.

Get yourself a couple of good 3/4 ss washers from the local hardware store the pressure distibution will create a good watertight seal. Try to avoid any chemicals if you can.

Latest posts

Back