MLT manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, am I just confused, or what ?? I made a copper manifold for my 60qt cooler, (See photo gallery) and I just assumed that the manifold would be oriented in the MLT, with the cuts down. Am I wrong, confused, or whatever ??? I don't know why all of a sudden I started thinking about this. Maybe it was from another picture of someone's manifold, in a cooler very similar to mine. They had theirs showing with the cuts up. Maybe it was just for the photo, but that got me thinking about my manifold.

Should the cuts on the manifold be down against the bottom of the MLT, or facing up ?? I guess I just want clarification on this. I have brewed a couple batches with my new MLT, and the batch sparge runs pretty good, but then drops off fairly significantly, after several gallons have been drawn off.

Thanks guys

Bombo80 said:
OK, am I just confused, or what ?? I made a copper manifold for my 60qt cooler, (See photo gallery) and I just assumed that the manifold would be oriented in the MLT, with the cuts down. Am I wrong, confused, or whatever ??? I don't know why all of a sudden I started thinking about this. Maybe it was from another picture of someone's manifold, in a cooler very similar to mine. They had theirs showing with the cuts up. Maybe it was just for the photo, but that got me thinking about my manifold.

Should the cuts on the manifold be down against the bottom of the MLT, or facing up ?? I guess I just want clarification on this. I have brewed a couple batches with my new MLT, and the batch sparge runs pretty good, but then drops off fairly significantly, after several gallons have been drawn off.

Thanks guys
Cuts go down.

Same reason your nostrils are pointed down.

Less stuff falls into the opennings.

Back