MLT: Cooler or Keggle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiggieB400

Reaction score
So I have been brewing extract for a couple years now and I am ready to step up to all grain. I know this is going to take additional equipment. My longer term plans include building a single tier system so I am trying to be smart about my equipment acquisitions. I have been debating a Keggle or a Cooler MLT and I would like to hear some of the pros and cons of each from those that have actually used one or both of these devices for a MLT

Thanks in advance!!

I didn't watch Bobby's vid (I am sure it is great.) as I am @ work...

I have a:
5 gallon coolr MLT (Round Rubbermaid)
10 gallon cooler MLT (Round Rubbermaid)
Keggle MLT

This alows me to do 2 batches on my single tier at the same time. Or if I want to do just 1 batch it allows me to have the right sized MLT for the job.

IMO the biggest plus to a keggle MLT is the abilty to direct fire. If you are not going to direct fire it a cooler will be just fine.

I use a keggle, and found a simple way to insulate it. I've used it 3 times, twice it lost 0-1 degrees and I didn't have to direct fire it at all, the 3rd I had to direct fire it for about 5 minutes.

complete21.JPG

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/insulation-jacket-mlt-281670/ if you want to see how I made it.

I use a cooler with a RIMs tube. I think its a preference on how you want to control temperature if you are not one of the ones concerned with plastic contact. Before I went all electric I used the same cooler with no temp control and made some great beers!

Thanks for the feedback everyone... I started off leaning towards the keggle for long term durability and overall flexibility and I haven't heard any feedback that has convinced me to change my mind. It seems there are several good options for insulation should temp loss become an issue. Now if I can just find one or three keggles.... Then the decision of herms or rims...

Bobby - thanks for the link to the videos. I was watching your all grain videos a couple weeks ago and didn't get a chance to check out the rest of your work. Very helpful, now I need to get some hardware and get busy putting it together so I can make some beer!!

Back