MLF question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda88

Reaction score
I think my wine is in the MLF stage but I am not sure. I checked my gravity a couple days ago (a bit under 1.000) and racked off the lees and im still seeing tiny bubbles floating to the top of my carboy. air lock is bubbling ever so slightly. How do I know for sure that this is MLF and not some spoilage bacteria. Should I let it go till it stops or sulfite it now? I did taste the wine when I racked and it was hot with alittle haze but tasted pretty good. thanks people

If your wine is done and has decent alcohol content and doesn't smell bad then all is good.

It could be an inadvertent MLF or degassing going on. It could even be yeast finishing up the job. My Agave Apple Raspberry and Blackberry wines had little pinprick bubbles for several months. It takes time, be patient and all will work out.

okay thanks guys i will check up on it in a couple weeks, also I have noticed lines of co2 bubbles that look like little snakes. some of the bubbles are larger but these seem to be small and string like. Is this anything to worry about?

okay thanks guys i will check up on it in a couple weeks, also I have noticed lines of co2 bubbles that look like little snakes. some of the bubbles are larger but these seem to be small and string like. Is this anything to worry about?

'String like' would be a bad sign, but co2 bubbles are fine.

most of the bubbles are in random clusters but some appear to be sitting on top of the wine in a snake like pattern. maybe that is just the way they came to the surface, im not sure. I guess what im trying to say is, i dont actually see strings in the wine its just the formation of the co2 bubbles..

Back