mixing yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregg

Reaction score
So I'm trying to use up some old supplies I've got laying around and I found 1/2 a package of nottingham and 1/2 a package of ec-1118 left over from some small cider batches I've made. I've got 2 beers and a graff going right now so I'm running out of room and equipment right now. All I have empty is a 6.5 gallon carboy. I'm thinking 5 gallons of apple juice, 3 pounds of turbinado and mixing the 2 half packs of yeast(both are within the expiration date and were resealed immediately after use).

Has anyone on here tried mixing wine and ale yeast or have any idea how it might turn out?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

EC-1118 is called out as being a "competitive" yeast, which at minimum means its can out-compete wild yeast. If mixed with Nottingham, I can only guess one might dominate.

--SiletzSpey

I've heard of yeast strains being pitched in sequence to achieve certain results, but haven't tried it. For example, get started w the Nottingham for its flavor profile and later pitch the EC-118 for more aggressive attenuation.

Latest posts

Back