Mixing wort with top-off water in Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutMuncher

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying a Better Bottle, because my plastic buckets are starting to develop some scratches that I'm worried about. However, I do partial boils for now. So I'll need to mix 3 gallons of wort with 2 gallons of top-off water in a Better Bottle. But I've been reading that shaking the BB is a bad idea, and can cause stress fractures and cracks?

I've read about aerating using a tennis ball under the BB, but I don't think this would come close to adequately mixing my wort with top-off water.

Does anyone have a method for vigorously mixing in a BB?

a big 8-10" anti-splash funnel has never failed me.
pour the water on the side, it swirls in and mixes completely without fail.
I use carboys but the method is the same with a BB.

I typically pick my 6.5 gal glass carboy up and shake it. I use a sanitized solid stopper for this. Works like a charm.

I typically pick my 6.5 gal glass carboy up and shake it. I use a sanitized solid stopper for this. Works like a charm.

Yeah, but unfortunately I was thinking about a Better Bottle, which I think says you aren't supposed to shake it (at least not on its size)? Because this causes excess pressure on the seams.

I'd get glass but I'm a klutz and will probably drop it :)

Solid stopper, tip on side and roll it back and forth for a minute or two.

Back