Mixing priming solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rladd

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am wondering of anyone has ever attempted to mix two types of priming solutions (e.g. honey and table sugar). I like the honey taste but when I fully prime with it it gives an off flavor, I'm looking to do half honey and half table sugar to the volume of 2.8 for an IPA I brewed.

It's entirely possible, although you could try using honey malt instead.

What off flavor are you getting? I've primed with honey and it was fine.

Maybe off flavor was the wrong word, as much as It was a very noticeable honey taste that almost took over all other notes. I'd like to get a mild honey taste, so I thought of halfing it with sugar.

Maybe off flavor was the wrong word, as much as It was a very noticeable honey taste that almost took over all other notes. I'd like to get a mild honey taste, so I thought of halfing it with sugar.
What kind of honey did you use?
For example, wildflower and the even stronger buckwheat honey have very pronounced, assertive flavor profiles.

Whenever I used honey in beer I always wished I had a) used at least twice the amount or b) used a (homemade) light candi syrup instead.

although you could try using honey malt instead.
You mean in the mash, not for priming...

A little Honey Malt in the mash (~2-4%) gives a decent honey-like flavor, more than most honey additions do. Then adding honey for priming really seals the flavor deal, IMO.

Latest posts

Back