Mixing Nottingham and WLP400?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? In the future I want to make a Belgian Blonde of sorts (likely BM's SWMBO Slayer). However I don't want to buy more yeast. I have WLP400 saved along with Notty. Could I mix the two in the batch?

I'm looking for the Belgian flavor profile WLP400 produces, but I wouldn't mind having it a little more clear. I'm thinking I might be able to get this by mixing the two.

I am by no means a yeast expert. However, I don't know that blending two yeasts will help with getting a clearer beer. If you want a clearer beer I would suggest either cold crashing or using gelatin finings. How this helps.
Cheers,
Brandon

That wouldn't be bad either. But I was looking to change the profile all together. WLP400 gets pretty fruity, takes forever, and it causes haze. If I mixed the two I could kill three birds with two yeasts.

Never used any liquid yeasts(can't get them here in Thailand) But had a GREAT brew with Notty and Orval dregs:rockin:

That wouldn't be bad either. But I was looking to change the profile all together. WLP400 gets pretty fruity, takes forever, and it causes haze. If I mixed the two I could kill three birds with two yeasts.

adding the notty will just speed things up and make it less fruity. it will not cause 400 to become a better flocc'r tho

It was in primary for a month and the smells were 100% tropical fruit.
First few weeks in the bottle it tamed and was more Notty.
But after that it has kind of blended very well with the brett coming through to shine in harmony.

Ehhhhhh, I think there's a reason why people don't mix yeasts more often and it's because one yeast will basically consume the other during the growth phase and you will only get results from the dominant yeast. I'm sure there's probably a few sugars consumed by the other yeast, but not enough to notice. I don't have any sources off the top of my head, but I think that's pretty common knowledge.

Ehhhhhh, I think there's a reason why people don't mix yeasts more often and it's because one yeast will basically consume the other during the growth phase and you will only get results from the dominant yeast. I'm sure there's probably a few sugars consumed by the other yeast, but not enough to notice. I don't have any sources off the top of my head, but I think that's pretty common knowledge.

I am sure this is not always true since both Wyeast and White Labs have yeast blends in their inventory.

yeast dont consume each other. one may out compete the other, but you can get fairly good profile splits in the first generation especially if you pitch matching counts at the same time.

kh54s10 said:
I am sure this is not always true since both Wyeast and White Labs have yeast blends in their inventory.

You're right about the blends of different strains, but I'm also sure they're not just throwing three yeasts together in a batch of wort and saying, "Ok. Here's a new blend." They are more likely in a lab using a microscope to isolate a scarce number of cells within a large sample to grow up.

dcp27 said:
yeast dont consume each other. one may out compete the other, but you can get fairly good profile splits in the first generation especially if you pitch matching counts at the same time.

Sure they do. What do you think yeast nutrient is?

Alright. I'm reading into it more and I'm man enough to admit when I am wrong. I guess you can blend strains. This is news to me.

You're right about the blends of different strains, but I'm also sure they're not just throwing three yeasts together in a batch of wort and saying, "Ok. Here's a new blend." They are more likely in a lab using a microscope to isolate a scarce number of cells within a large sample to grow up.

This is why I put the word "always" in my reply. I am sure that some yeasts would not blend well together and that the "labs", research and control their blends very carefully.

dcp27 said:
dead yeast and DAP. only certain ones like wine yeast are killer yeasts

I guess I was thinking more if you are taking a fresh pitch of Notty and a saved batch of yeast like the OP, the Notty is going to take off and that saved yeast has lost viability fast if it's not repitched with the same amount of cells. It seems like it would be smarter to do with 2 fresh pitches...

oh, maybe i read it wrong, i took it as both were saved yeast. notty would likely still be faster either way so i'd give the 400 a lil bit of a head start.

OP def be careful if you plan to ramp temps, notty can get pretty gross over 70F. also, if you find the 400 too fruity, just ferment lower. heres a chart with its different profiles at diff temps: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. They are both saved yeasts, and I was planning on pitching more 400 than Notty, I was thinking just adding 1/3 as much in to change things around a little bit. I plan on fermenting around 65. Notty is great at this temp and according to your chart 400 will be less fruity. Although 60 would make things pretty clean...wondering if that would make the 400 take forever.

Hey, I say just g for it, as you will not know until you try.
I would think that as the Notty goes for it like a bat out of hell, it may be best to let it go first, say a day or a day and a half? Then make a starter with the other strain and pitch it as soon as it is at high K.
I could be thinking in reverse.

Back