Mixing 2 batches - already kegged and carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I did two batches of the same basic recipe, both dry hopped before I kegged. One the hops are coming thru aggresively, perhaps even a little too assertive for what I want but the other I'm getting very little hop aroma. I'm thinking that right in the middle might be close to what I want, I took a little sample of each, blended them together and it tasted pretty damn good. So I was going to mix the batches and then redistribute into two kegs. How should I proceed with this? I have enough kegs that I can do this all internally without exposing the beer to air. Are there any caveats or gotchas to doing this or do I just need to mix em half and half and taste alot?

thanks guys!

Assertive hops might fade to perfect in a week. You could keg hop the batch is not hoppy enough and call it a day. I feel the concern about oxygen exposure but I’ve had great results opening full carbed kegs and adding hops. I’ll do this intentionally on my 3 keg batches. Dry hop third keg when I tap the second keg.

Foaming can be a big issue when transferring like that. Take it off the gas, pull the release valve, and transfer using as little PSI as you can, just enough to move the beer.

Just mix them half and half and you're good to go.
Of course you'll have to transfer under pressure (foaming) and will need some way to measure beer quantity without opening the kegs. A suitable scale under either the receiving or the donor keg is the most suitable tool for this purpose.

If you have a spunding valve you can attach it to a third keg which is pressurized to the same level as one of the kegs containing the beer. with a jumping-hose from beer out on the beer-keg to beer out on the receiving keg.. Then you attach your gas line to the beer-keg, and start pushing, and open the spund valve just so it flows. This way you have a good "atmospheric" pressure in your entire system, so you will not have difficulties with foaming.

Could you add dry hops in the keg of the one that needs more hops?

Back