Mixed up my specialty grains from NB for Smashing Pumpkin & Sierra Madre PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kifkroker

Reaction score
Can someone that has either extract kit for Smashing Pumpkin or Sierra Madre Pale Ale from Northern Brewer tell me what their maillard malt specialty grains bag says on the front? When I got these 2 kits, I took all the ingredients out of the boxes and put them in the fridge. One comes with .5lb of Crystal 60 and the other with .5lb of Crystal 40, but both look exactly the same in color and one is titled 'nightshade' and the other is titled 'paramount'. It doesn't make sense that either bag has any reference to crystal 60 or 40 on it, but I guess it's my fault for not marking the bags when I took them out of the boxes...

Thanks to anyone that can help me out!

Thanks for the reply but the recipe only references crystal 40 or crystal 60 and the specialty grain bags that I have only say 'nightshade' and 'paramount'. Guess my post wasn't clear enough or I'm not seeing where it lists specifics.

Does seem odd they are marked that way. Worst comes to worst though I honestly don't think it will make any noticeable difference between those two recipes. If you can't tell by looking and tasting them I'd just flip a coin.

I brewed first thing this morning so NB wasn't open yet. Guessed that the C40 was the 'nightshade' bag and decided not to worry about it too much if I was wrong. As chickypad said, it probably wouldn't be too much difference flavor-wise. Thanks for the responses!

Latest posts

Back