Mixed up gain. Now what?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PacificNWBrewer

Reaction score
My grain buckets are labeled and stored in a pretty organized manner. However... somehow things got mixed up and I milled half a grain-bill of something labeled MO when it was intend to be 2-row. I still have half the bucket but how can I tell if it's MO or 2-row?

I know I said they were labeled...but my MO grain is stored in larger 30 gallon containers. This was a 5 gallon food storage bucket.

Worst case is I make a batch of it and see what happens. Anyone else ever do this? How can I tell them apart without brewing them?

you can do side my side comparisons, MO has a biscuity/ bready flavor vs the standard american 2-row

I don't think you have a disaster on your hands, i guess it depends on what you are aiming for. MO and 2 row would make good base malts in any beer. I would brew as planned

Only problem I see is when this beer turns out awesome, you won't really know the recipe...

So true!!! I've done that a few times. I keep chasing the recipe that got away...

This batch is for a buddies wedding so I can't experiment. I just don't want to waste is.

So it could be Maris Otter or two row? Most likely the only person who will ever notice is you.

It's not that they aren't different malts, but they are both base malts, and unless it's nearly 100% one or the other, it won't make a big difference to the average person.

Back