Mixed style recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
I went to my lhbs and picked a few malts that I thought would taste good together. I really like a good biscuity and bready malt profile so that was my inspiration. This is also the first batch I used my homegrown Willamette hops on.

This is my first recipe I created and wasn't following any style guidelines whatsoever. I used all the hops I harvested this year and am hoping they come thru and are somewhat noticeable.

5 gal all grain

8# Maris Otter
1# White Wheat
1# Vienna

Mash @ 146° for 75 min

1oz Willamette @ 60 min
1oz Willamette @ 20 min
1.5oz Willamette @ 5 min

White Labs Cali Ale fermented a 68° for 2 weeks then keg at 2.5 vol of CO2

I brewed this a week ago and hope it turns out decent!

Yeah, looks great. Pretty normal malt bill for a balanced ale. If you like the hop aroma, consider a dry hop. Are they dried or fresh?

Awesome! The OG sample was pretty tasty so I think it should come it pretty delicious.

I was planning on doing them fresh but I had 3 different harvests because they weren't all ready at the same time.

I was also gonna dry hop but only got 3.5oz dried so I threw all them in the boil.

I'll keep the post updated with pics and a little review in a week or so.

I also forgot to add that target OG was 1.057 and measured was 1.060 and it should be somewhere around 27 IBU's but it's hard to tell from homegrown hops

Back