Mistakenly added flaked corn to the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeramI

Reaction score
Well, It's not my 1st mistake and it won't be the last. I was trying a creme ale recipe and I forgot to add the flaked corn (1 lb) to the mash. I noticed it when I started the boil and decided to throw it in. I strained most of the large pieces out when filling the primary fermentor. I plan on transfering to a secondary so that will get some more out. I was considering running it through my pie filter before kegging it. I'm hoping the beer is not a starchy mess. Any tips? Is there something I should add to clear it out?

Don't panic. Give it a long primary for maximum settling to occur. Gelatin can be used after the primary time if the beer is still does not clear sufficiently.

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it in the primary a little longer than usual. I don't know if it is the boiled corn but the airlock shot out of the primary and the lid blew open on the bucket. I switched to a blow off valve and the water has been non stop bubbling. I can't wait to see what happens with this brew.

Thanks for the advice. I'll leave it in the primary a little longer than usual. I don't know if it is the boiled corn but the airlock shot out of the primary and the lid blew open on the bucket. I switched to a blow off valve and the water has been non stop bubbling. I can't wait to see what happens with this brew.

Non stop airlock and blow off. Is your wort temperature to high?

I don't think so. I'm fermenting in my dining room and the temperature in the house is set at 69. It was warmer out the other day so it may have gotten up to about 72 but it's back down to about 69.

that's pretty warm. Ferment temps can run much higher than ambient.

Back