Missouri to Delaware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanker

Reaction score
Ill be making a trip from SW Missouri to Delaware and Pennsylvanvia at the end of July. Gonna travel via I-70... ive got plans to swing off the highway in Indianapolis to hopefully find some three floyds. I will also be stopping at Dogfish Head in Delaware. What beers do I need to locate and buy? Anything I can get along my trip and anything I can find in the DE/PA area? Please Help!!

I was wondering which I should hit.... guess ill take your advice and do both! What do I need to try while im there?

Flying dog brewery in Frederick, MD.
Heavy seas brewery in Baltimore, MD.
Schlafly in St. Louis.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I was wondering which I should hit.... guess ill take your advice and do both! What do I need to try while im there?

The brewery is cool to visit because they'll take you through and show you everything from their pilot system, wooden tanks, etc. They have a tasting room that has a good amount of their standard fare and they let you taste them. You can purchase pints as well. There's a ton of stuff you can buy in their gift shop too. There are cases for sale but availability depends on what is in season.

The brewpub will sometimes have exclusive beers on tap that you won't find in bottles or at the brewery. You can check their website to see what's available. Like all Dogfish beers I would recommend you try a few crazy new things, then settle in with something familiar.

In MD you should also check out DuClaw. I haven't been to their brewery but I like their beer.

Duclaw doesn't do tours, but their restaurant is great. I'm five minutes away from their bel air location.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

St. Louis:

I like Urban Chestnut. The beers at Perennial Brewing look interesting, but I've never been. I'd skip 4 Hands Brewery.

The only actually brewery ill have time to tour is Dogfish Head.... im looking for which beers during my trip I need to make sure I find and bring home!

St. Louis - Urban Chestnut, Perennial, Schlafly. I disagree with the person who doesn't like 4 Hands. If you've got time to stop in a brewpub, go to Civil Life in South City. They've got great session ales.

Indianapolis - I've enjoyed Sun King whenever I've had it.

You're going through OH, so see if you can find some Great Lakes. Anything they make is good, but if you see Edmund Fitzgerald (porter), get that first.

PA has some fairly unusual alcohol laws. It's been a while since I've been there, but it used to be that only specially licensed restaurants and bars could sell six packs, or cold beer. They were always insanely expensive due to the cost of their liquor license. If you wanted to pay a more reasonable price, you had to buy warm beer by the case from a distributor. Hopefully someone from PA can jump in and say if that's still true.

Assuming PA hasn't loosened up, find yourself a bottle ship in DE and get whatever you can find from Victory. The Storm King (a RIS), Golden Monkey (Belgian golden strong/tripel), and Prima Pils are all good. 70 runs well south of the Philadelphia area and the brewery itself is way out of your way.

Being from delaware i gotta say dogfish blows. Definately hit victory in downingtown PA and tired hands in ardmore PA. Best beer on east coast hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pick up or visit the Forham/Old Dominion brewery in Dover. Their Oak Barrel Stout is a favorite of mine. You could also visit the 16 Mile Brewery in Georgetown. A short ride from Rehoboth.

Back