Mission Accomplished-I constructed my own wort chiller!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
I've only brewed 2 batches thus far but realized that I was going to get sick of constantly buying 10 lb. bags of ice everytime I wanted to brew but I wasn't sure I wanted to pay $60 bucks for one at NB either. So, I simply went to my local Farm N Fleet and bought all the necessary's and it only took me about 40 minutes to construct. Meanwhile I was boiling a pot of water to give a test trial and sure enough, it cooled it down to 90 degrees with 7 minutes! Maybe this will motivate someone who has been contemplating making their own. It may not look quite as pretty as NB's but it fits all faucets perfectly and it gets the trick done just fine.

Oh and the best part was the supplies cost me $24.50 total.

Nice! Good job, feels great to do it yourself doesnt it! :mug:

I'm just pumped to have a wort chiller, makes my life a lot easier come brew time.

I didnt have to weld anything, if you do anything, I would imagine it would be soldering not welding but there is no need to.

I will try to post some pics but I bought 20 feet of flexible 3/8" copper tubing, 2 five foot sections of 1/2" vinyl tubing, some hose clamps and the challenging part was finding some sort of adapter that would fit just about any regular faucet. I kept looking all of the plumbing section and finally came across a "faucet shower nozzle" which just so happened to be 3/8"-how perfect is that?! So I cut off the shower head part, bought a little adapter to fit onto my vinyl tubing and now it fits just about any kitchen faucet. Its like a rubber head that fits perfectly over the faucet head.

The hardest part constructing it was wrapping the tubing in constant circles, I ended up wrapping it around my protein shake jug. The bottom curve got a little kinked but its still plenty enough to let water flow through and it fits in my pot just fine.

I'm trying to post a pic but it wants a URL. Its on my computer-how do you post pictures from your desktop?

004uj.jpg

Here we go.....

Wow that size just came out ridiculously big....sorry....well at least you can see insane detail!

that's the biggest wort chiller i've ever seen! ;)
way to go, nothing like cranking out a piece of brewing equipment on your own.

Back