Missing my New England brewpubs (here in LA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoon

Reaction score
So I moved out to LA about a year and a half ago (job reasons), only to find that LA is the one place is California that sucks for beer. I used to live in Providence RI where we had an awesome brewhouse nearly walking distance from me. Their IPA was really a double, their Russian imperial stout was absolutely killer, plus you could join the mug club and get huge 22 oz servings of the stuff for ~$4. What a great place.

Now I'm literally in the (beer) desert. Made the required pilgrimage to stone brewery and noted that San Diego is a sort of beer capital, but really, almost every major city in the state (except for LA) seems that way.

Had I moved to a beer city, I'd never have started making my own beer. Never felt the itch at all. But here in the beer desert, it is time to start making beer. I started my first batch on new year's eve day with the help of a local beer making shop (these guys seem really awesome so far, very supportive! -- http://www.homebeerwinecheese.com/). Also noticed the local beer-making organization (Maltose Falcolns) has gatherings where you can sample what everyone's making. Absolutely elated to find a community here excited about beer!

Are you referring to Trinity? I spend a lot of time in Providence and most of my time there. Amazing place. It is too bad you had to move away!

LA is a very difficult city to do business in. They even have their own building code, rather than using the Uniform Building Code. They also have their own electrical requirements vs the UL.

Welcome, cmoon. Wow the beer in LA must really suck if you miss Trinity.

Are you referring to Trinity? I spend a lot of time in Providence and most of my time there. Amazing place. It is too bad you had to move away!

Yes, I was referring to Trinity.

Pappers said:
Go to www.beeradvocate.com and take a look at the BeerFly listings - ratings of bars and pubs. You might find something new . . .

Been on that for a while, but the suggestion is much appreciated. It helped me find the closes and best tavern--being McG's bar and grill. Of course, there's some other great spots once you go down into hollywood (I rather like Blue Palms but never go there anymore.)

BigEd said:
Welcome, cmoon. Wow the beer in LA must really suck if you miss Trinity.

Ouch! Well I'd say I miss Trinity for more than the beer, but it was a local brew pub, and the beer would at least try to be adventurous. All the other brew pubs I've been to make beers that are about on par with Sam Adams. Not a bad thing, but c'mon, that's missing the whole point of brewing your own beer. Anyway, yes, I loved the beer at Trinity--maybe the price and company helped.

Anyway, yes, I loved the beer at Trinity--maybe the price and company helped.

Well, let's just say that we have had different experiences there. In fairness the last couple of beers I sampled from Trinity a couple of months ago were OK in that at least they were clean but after repeated samplings there over the last 5 years virtually every beer I tried was either stale, infected or both. Good luck with the homebrews and keep us posted. :mug:

Where in LA are you?

There's some good places to get beer around town, but the best place for you is going to depend on exactly where you live. Don't go trashing the city's brewpubs before you even know what you're talking about.

Although, if you are talking about actual brew-on-premises pubs (as opposed to pubs with good beer selections), those are pretty scarce in LA, and the ones I'm familiar with aren't that great.

Where in LA are you?

There's some good places to get beer around town, but the best place for you is going to depend on exactly where you live. Don't go trashing the city's brewpubs before you even know what you're talking about.

Although, if you are talking about actual brew-on-premises pubs (as opposed to pubs with good beer selections), those are pretty scarce in LA, and the ones I'm familiar with aren't that great.

Well that's just what I was hoping for--'brew pubs', but you're right, there are a few good pubs (again, Blue Palms, Lucky Baldwin's, McG's). My problem here is that the brewpubs in LA seem to be franchises (BJ's, Karl Strauss, etc.) that don't seem particularly adventurous.

Anyway, yeah, I'm up in the valley (Northridge) which is pretty sparse save McG's which is a good tavern with a great selection.

I used to live in Providence RI where we had an awesome brewhouse nearly walking distance from me.

I work with a guy from RI, from what I have gathered from him everything in Rhode Island is in walking distance, I think he said he could jump rope from one side of the state to the other in just over 45 minutes!! :D

Seriously though, I cant stand LA, I get sent there for training 3-4 times a year for a week at a time. the Yardhouse is the only place I have found that has decent beers near the training center

Seriously though, I cant stand LA, I get sent there for training 3-4 times a year for a week at a time. the Yardhouse is the only place I have found that has decent beers near the training center

Where is the training center? The only yardhouse locations I know are in Long Beach, Huntington Beach, and Pasadena, and I think can come up with better beer hangouts near all of those.

The OC Yardhouse is in Costa Mesa. I wish it was HB. Our downtown is great but the beer selection is mediocre.

Ah are you going to the one at Irvine Spectrum?

if thats the one that most of the mall exits are actually on-ramps to the flippin freeway, then thats the one. when I get sent out there I am usually sharing a dent-a-car with another guy so going anywhere fun is difficult.

Back