missing irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm making a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout clone, the recipe calls for 1 tsp of Irish moss, I didn't get any irish moss at the HBS.. Wondering if I can or should substute it with something.. do they sell it at the grocery store?
I guess it will just be missing..

JOhn

Not a problem. It is just used to coagulate proteins. Your beer might be slightly hazier, maybe not even. Whirlfloc is the purified active ingredient and can be substituted. If it is a hassle to go back to the store, skip it without worry. If you are worried about clarity (with a stout?) you can use gelatin in the secondary.

Even brewing all-grain, I forgot Irish moss about 1/2 the time. I really don't think it's noticeable, unless you're brewing a super light colored beer and chill haze might be distracting. When I brewed extract, I don't even remember using it at all, with no issues.

so it's just used to clear it up?? since it's a dark beer it shouldn't matter..
ok thanks I'll leave it skiped

Yes, its a "Kettle fining". It's used at the end of the boil to help coagulate proteins. It does a good job, really, but if you don't use it you may not even notice.

Latest posts

Back