Missing airlock, what to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswilkes33

Reaction score
I planned on brewing today but dont have another airlock, All 3 are in use. Unfortunatly my LHBS is closed for the holiday today, I do have a drilled stopper that will fit the bucket. Anyone have ideas or should I just wait for tomorrow and go buy a new airlock and miss out on a great free brew day?

Can I rig a blowoff using the stopper and some tubing or do I need the airlock still to do that?

+1 Tubing from the bung submersed into a jug of water IS an airlock. GO BREW!!

+2 make a blowoff set up. i brew w/ a 5 gallon carboy and i always have blowoff for the first few days until fermentation subsides (or enough beer is blown off to where i can put a ferm lock on). has worked perfectly for the 5 or so batches i have done :)

So I decided to skip the brewing last week in the absense of the airlock. I did however decide to make a MLT. Im on my way down the road now to Austin Homebrew to get all grain rather than using the exract I got last time :)

Back