Missed recipe = super beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
Because failure of my beam scale I completely missed proportions and quantity of malts for American Wheat Beer. Unfortunately, I realized that when the mash was already over.
To save beer, I added a larger amount of table sugar (40% of grain bill) and BE-134 yeast instead of US-05, to get a higher attenuation and higher ABV.
Instead of 5.5% I got beer with 4.1%, but the beer is very good. Very tasty and very clean. A real session beer.

In several previous beers I placed a larger amount of simple sugar, but never more than 20%. Honestly, I did not know what to expect of beer with 40% simple sugar and I was pretty surprised that it turned out so good.

Perhaps I have broken one of the many myths about beer brewing.

wheat ale.jpg

Sugar (I prefer dextrose over table sugar) certainly gives a clean crispness to beer. I use it quite often (up to about 25%) when I want a bit less body and a lighter tasting beer. Unfortunately, it seems to be snubbed by most of the home brewing community (except in Belgian beers, where it's expected).

Unfortunately, it seems to be snubbed by most of the home brewing community (except in Belgian beers, where it's expected).

Yeah that's my experience as well and it's just pretentious IMO...I mean wtf do they think wort is? It's sugar water, that's what yeast eats. And if your style calls for that crisp/clean finish then by all means!

Sugar (I prefer dextrose over table sugar) certainly gives a clean crispness to beer. I use it quite often (up to about 25%) when I want a bit less body and a lighter tasting beer. Unfortunately, it seems to be snubbed by most of the home brewing community (except in Belgian beers, where it's expected).

Many English beers as well, especially using invert sugar. Some recipes use large chunks of flaked maize AND sugar. I like the lighter body and drier beer, and often prefer it after drinking nothing but 7%+ IPAs that use nothing but malt and leave your lips almost sticking together.

Many English beers as well, especially using invert sugar. Some recipes use large chunks of flaked maize AND sugar.

For sure. 8% Invert #2 and 8% flaked maize in my favourite English Bitter (which at 4.8%ABV is a bit out of style).

40% dextrose and 60% seems to be a ratio close to Kit and Kilo canned beer kits where people often use 1kg of sugar as an adjunct. People (including me) have made quite decent beer that way too although it is recommended to change the sugar to DME when possible.

Back