Missed my OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phitz

Reaction score
Just finished a batch of Citra IPA extract kit from NB. Target OG was 1.050 and I came in at 1.046. I think I left too much of the wort in the brew kettle. I was trying to prevent the hop sludge from entering the fermenter and left too much of the wort behind. Should I be concerned?

Leaving wort behind won't impact your og. If an extract kit came in lower Og it is likely either you added too much water or didn't boil off at the same rate as was expected by the recipe. As Grampamark says, really nothing to worry about!

I assumed the alcohol content would be lower. What would you consider a botched OG? Can you add sugar to compensate? Not planning on doing it but just wondering. Thx

I assumed the alcohol content would be lower. What would you consider a botched OG? Can you add sugar to compensate? Not planning on doing it but just wondering. Thx
I'd call 10 points to be missing the OG, especially on an extract kit. 4 points is within the range of error, depending on amount started with, amount ending, possible inaccuracy in the hydrometer, and a few other factors.
Was this all extract or was there steeping grain involved as well?

OG could also be low because the sugars are heavy, and the wort doesn't always mix well. If you take a gravity reading from the top, you could get a low reading.

Why didn't you want the 'sludge' in the fermenter? It will end up at the bottom of the fermenter at the end of fermentation.

Don't use sugar to 'correct' a shortfall in OG (maybe with a high gravity Belgian). Use light/Pale extract, that way you don't dry-out/thin the beer, and you keep the malt balance, FG, and flavor in the range of the original recipe.

Steeping of specialty grains, DME and liquid malt extract.

Leaving wort behind won't impact your og.

It does if you top off to full batch volume in the fermenter, which is the way a lot of extract batches are done.

I took the reading after aerating the wort from the spigot on the bucket. I used 4.5 oz of hops in the boil and it seemed like a lot to add to fermenter. I thought I was supposed to attempt to prevent excessive amounts from going in the fermenter.

Vikeman is correct. I topped off to bring total to 5 gallons in the fermenting bucket

It does if you top off to full batch volume in the fermenter, which is the way a lot of extract batches are done.
Ah, good point that! Not an extract brewer so never thought of that possibility!

Back