Missed my og.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packy28

Reaction score
Last sunday I brewed a chocolate porter and missed my OG....It was supposed to be between 1.044 and 1.047 it ended up being 1.030.... how bad is it going to be?

Is this an extract batch with top off water? If so you are prob ok and your top off water and added wort were not mixed enough causing your low OG.

yes this was an extract with grains....and top off water....do thing this will turn out ok......

Yeah, you should be OK. Unless you failed to put some of the DME/LME in, extract kits are usually spot on to whatever the instructions say.

The problem most likely occurred because it was not mixed well and density layering occurred and you sampled the less dense stuff on top.

RDWHAHB.

Transamguy77 said:
Is this an extract batch with top off water? If so you are prob ok and your top off water and added wort were not mixed enough causing your low OG.

Yeah what he said too. :)

+1 again on what he said. Unless you forgot to add something or added way too much water (which would overfill the bucket), your OG should be spot on despite what your hydrometer says.

Yeah, What they all said. If you used all the ingredients and ended up with the right volume, you will get the right gravity. It is common that the top up water will not mix fully so you might get a high or low reading depending on if the sample got more of the concentrated wort or if it got the more top up water.

thanks to everyone for there replies.....I'll let you all know when its finished this will be my first beer kegged...wish me luck...

Back