Missed Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
So, I'm mashing for a porter right now and my mash temp shot up on me. Typically I see 2 - 3 degree loss when adding grain. I was shooting for 153 and after adding grain my thermometer showed 148. So, I turned the heat on until it was back up to 153. Turned heat off, stirred, checked temp and was at 158. I removed the blanket around the kettle and took the cover off the kettle.

At this point, about 30 min since start of mash, it's down to 160. I'm planning to "open mash" until the temp gets to 152/153 unless someone replies with a different idea.

An thoughts on how this may effect this brew? I know with higher temps it may have more body, more unfermentables, etc., but anthing I should expect besides that?

Did you get your anticipated gravity?

Next time, I would stir in ice cubes to lower the temp quicker, or heat more gently to raise the temp, but I guess you already learned that lesson.
Cheers!

Your wort will likely have more unfermentables and a higher FG with more body

Thanks for the replies.

OG was estimated to be 1.061, I hit 1.058. So, not bad there. Guess I'll see how far down the yeasties can eat this one.

Adding ice always seemed like a no brainer when reading others posts, but in the spur of the moment it didn't even cross my mind.

Back