Misorganized Stout Recipe Grains Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So ordered grains from a shop that were based on a clone recipe. Grian bill Should be:

11# Pilsner Malt
2# Vienna Malt
1# Chocolate Malt
1/2# Roasted Barley
4oz Black Patent Malt
4oz Caramel 60

But, since I know mashing a high percent of roasted malts can drop the mash pH far too low, I ordered them to be separate from the Pilsner/Vienna, but unfortunately only the Pilsner malt was in a separate bag. Therefore the Vienna is along with all the specialty malts. I do have some extra Vienna lying around I could add to the mash. Should I do so or just stick with mashing just the Pilsner and steep the rest/throw in last 15 mins of mash? I know steeping yields less extraction so I worry about missing gravity numbers too much, but also don’t want to risk throwing off the grain bill %’s too much.

You should be able to mash all of those together. Depending on other mineral adjustments, consider adding some chalk/lime/baking soda to the mash to offset the pH impact of the roasted grains.

Have you tried entering that recipe into software like BeerSmith or Brewers Friend with a neutral water profile to determine the expected mash pH before any water adjustments?

You should be able to mash all of those together. Depending on other mineral adjustments, consider adding some chalk/lime/baking soda to the mash to offset the pH impact of the roasted grains.

Have you tried entering that recipe into software like BeerSmith or Brewers Friend with a neutral water profile to determine the expected mash pH before any water adjustments?

The problem is I don’t have a neutral pH water. The distilled water I buy on their water report states a pH of 5.5. So that changes things a lot I would think.

I wouldn't use distilled water exclusively for brewing. You should mix that with tap water or bottled water.

Latest posts

Back