Mish Mash Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewkinger

Testing... testing...is this frigger on?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna use up most of my leftover summer beer ingredients to brew a nice hunting camp style amber ale.

6.25# Maris Otter
1.5# Vienna
1# US pale malt
8oz Cr60
8 oz CaraPils
2.4 oz Biscuit
1# Victory

Northern Brewer at 60min and 5 min.

Maybe dry hop after primary to get some aroma in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd drink that. Let us know how it turns out.

A few times I've made a "Spring Cleaning IPA" to use up odds and ends of hops I order in bulk. They haven't been outstanding but have never been disappointing.

A little peek at the brew day.

Wife agreed to allow a relaxing, time constraint free brew session. One caveat is that I break it up into 2 parts.

Mash this morning and should finish up around 1030am.

Spend Labor Day in a non laboring kind of way and then boil/cool/pitch this evening when it is a little cooler and less humid.

Sounds good to me too! I love a nice biscuity taste such as Fat Tire or Foster's Premium Ale (ESB).

I've recently put 1 lb of Victory into an amber, and tried 1/2 lb of Belgian biscuit in an ESB. The ESB doesn't have much more than a subtle hint. I'm hoping for a stronger biscuit flavor in the amber, which makes me wonder what you think you'll get with that much biscuit flavor. Please report your findings!

Makes me wonder what you think you'll get with that much biscuit flavor.
Please report your findings!

I updated my OP, to reflect the real recipe. I was trying to enter from memory last night after a long day of smoking a pork butt, hosting a bday party for 6yr old daughter and splitting a growler of Hill Farmstead Edward with a buddy.
Needless to say, I was a little off.

The correction was 8oz CaraPils and 2.4oz Biscuit (instead of 10oz of biscuit)

As far as expectations, this is my first real original recipe, so I am in it for the learning.
I figure that the victory/biscuit should give a nice toasty and bread like taste .
All the crystal/CaraPils and biscuit should give it some body and head retention.

The IBU ends up being 45, I used an oz of NB as a FWH and another oz at 5 min.

I also added some greatly caked up DME to the boil at flameout to get an OG of 1.054 (1.045 pre boil)

Pitched a 1.2L starter of WY1056.

She's off and running.

I will report back with the results.

CHEERS!

Report back on the first bottle of this that I opened last night.

This beer is just plain wonderful. Excellent balance of malt and bitter and so tasty..... I get sweetness and awesome bready taste with a finish of sweet and hops.
Proud of my first original recipe.

It is the first real sessionable beer that I have made. It is going to be tough to keep this one around until mid-November for hunting season.

I think that I may just brew another batch of this up and have it ready for that time frame.

"It is going to be tough to keep this one around until mid-November for hunting season. I think that I may just brew another batch of this up and have it ready for that time frame."

Certainly a good thing to have a good beer while/after you field dress! Goes well with fresh tenderloin on the grill!

Either set enough aside or get to it!

I'd drink that. Let us know how it turns out.

A few times I've made a "Spring Cleaning IPA" to use up odds and ends of hops I order in bulk. They haven't been outstanding but have never been disappointing.

Love making those "Clean out the Freezer" IPA's. Some are quite memorable..

:mug:

Back