Minimize natural aeration if using pure O2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannabrew

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but considering the number of threads with aeration and oxygen in them, this proved difficult to search for...

Up until now I've pumped wort from my BK into my fermenter through a tube with a siphon sprayer attached to the end. I was hoping this would aerate the wort enough but many members of my HBC are suggesting I use pure O2 instead.

I went ahead and made an aerating wand and got a regulator for the disposable O2 tanks and am planning on giving this a try on my next session.

My question is, if I'm planning on using pure O2, should I alter my current process for racking into the fermenter?

I am not sure about the pumping situation, but I just recently switched to pure O2 aeration, and have noticed a dramatic change in my fermentation. My process is simple, If I use my IC, then I just simply gravity drain from my BK into my fermenter, and then drop in my aeration stone, and turn it on (just enough to see small bubbles coming out of the stone) and let it run for 60 seconds, then pitch and im done. If I am using my CFC, then I drain my BK through the CFC and into my fermenter, and then use the O2 the same as above.

I don't pump out of my BK (mostly because I just don't need one quite yet) and the tube I use to drain is just the simple silicone tubing that I drop into star san until I am ready to drain, that I connect my camlock fitting, and drop the end of the tube into the fermenter and rock and roll!!

I guess, to answer you question better, no, you do not need to do what your currently doing, your just doing extra steps and using extra items that will be negated once you pump the O2 in anyways.

Hope this helps!

Well the thing is I already have the tubing and process in place so changing it is actually extra steps. I'm just wondering if the agitation/aerating action of running it through the siphon sprayer is counter-productive to the O2 aerating.

Well the thing is I already have the tubing and process in place so changing it is actually extra steps. I'm just wondering if the agitation/aerating action of running it through the siphon sprayer is counter-productive to the O2 aerating.

Can you add a tee to the pump set up and place an inline o2 stone in the middle before you spray into the fermentor? That would be easy and consistent.

yes...there are several write ups and blogs that state the max amount of O2 you can get by agitating the wort during transfer is something like 8 PPM (don't quote me on ecaxt # here), and that running the O2 from the stone for 30-45 seconds puts something like 30-40 ppm....so any agitation your doing will be over ridden anyhow as the PPM is not simply added together

duplicative. not counter.

but it is possible to over-oxygenate the yeast. air aeration tops out at like 8ppm of o2 if i recall. with pure oxygen you can go well over that. i dont have the specifics off hand here but in your case i think its better to do one or the other. if you have the o2 setup, use that and not the siphon sprayer.

you can look up o2 ppm oxygenation rates for yeast if you want the specifics.

IMO for home brewing oxygenation is only required if you want another variable to control. While lack of oxygen will absolutely cause issues, you can overcome them by just pitching lots of yeast, which you discard after fermentation. Ideal levels of oxygenation are important when you are aiming for consistency under pressure (such as a commercial environment where you can't wait another day or two) and when you are looking to maintain the health of the yeast over the long term (because you repitch constantly and you need performance as anticipated every single time).

This doesn't mean don't seek to maximise aeration on transfer, but pitch lots of viable yeast, make a starter and pitch it at high krausen. This is maybe the best tip I wish I'd followed when home brewing. As a compromise pushing filtered air through the beer for the first 12 hours with a pump and stone is a very simple and effective solution, though since starting to pitch large and healthy starters beers which would have previously terrified me are not a problem. Recently got a 9.6%abv beer from grain to bottle in 8 days with 2 days of that being the dry hop and cold crash. Previously that high gravity would have had me leaving the beer in primary for at least 2 weeks, worrying about rousing the yeast bed, worrying about supplying additional oxygen at the start of fermentation, shaking the fermenters for 30 minutes before pitching etc.

The only real benefit we seek from in line oxygenation during transfer is it would allow us to bottom fill the fermenters. This would eliminate foaming and bring us extra capacity, allowing us to reduce freeboard and our antifoam bill!

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but considering the number of threads with aeration and oxygen in them, this proved difficult to search for...

Up until now I've pumped wort from my BK into my fermenter through a tube with a siphon sprayer attached to the end. I was hoping this would aerate the wort enough but many members of my HBC are suggesting I use pure O2 instead.

I went ahead and made an aerating wand and got a regulator for the disposable O2 tanks and am planning on giving this a try on my next session.

My question is, if I'm planning on using pure O2, should I alter my current process for racking into the fermenter?

Makes absolutely no difference.

Back