Minimal fridge to fit 2/3 3gal cornies & Collars on minifrdige

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
So I have the 3 gal corny kegs, now I am on the hunt, I need to find the smallest possible refrigerator to accommodate 2-3 3gal cornies. I'm looking for the smallest possible and the dimensions I'm looking at are 9 diameter and 17 inch height. No issues taking out the freezer section. Anyone got any ideas? None of these fridges actually mention the internal dimensions!

On the subject anyone ever heard of adding a collar to a mini fridge, one fridge I saw might work but would need a few extra inches, obviously my issue would be condensation and dripping?

would be cool if they made a super small chest fridge I could do it in lol

why not get a chest freezer (cheaper and easier to fit 3 kegs +gas) then just buy a new thermostat for it.

they are to big, I cant find any chest freezer smaller than 5 cu ft. the whole reason I got 3 gallon cornies is for a smaller kegerator. they are about 8.5 diam and 17 inches in height so i need about 3-4 inches clearance but the whole idea is to go as small as possible.

You can't collar the top of a fridge...there's coils and such...

I've seen someone remove the door, and extend it that way with foam insulation sheets to make a fermentation area.

That is kind of the route I was looking to go extending the door.. So I found a fridge that I thought might work great, but it seems it will be just a tiny bit to short :(

Kenmore Model 461.91782 1.7cuft
W 14 D 12 H 16.25 (these are very rough measurements I took with a borrowed tape measure.

There is no hump in there really good to know! So I would need to remove the handle, but then I dont think I could get my connections in three, anyone got any thoughts? Any thing else out there with no hump?

655-hpim0032.jpg

654-hpim0031.jpg

653-hpim0030.jpg

So anyone got any ideas, could I cut away the fridge to make it just a bit larger? or is three some sort of smaller low profile connects I'm not aware of?

My handles are attached just by a screw, would I be doing any damage just unscrewing them?

Ok I think I have an idea, But might take some enginutiy and some carpentry skills. And I guess the way the kegs fit.

How about flipping the fridge so that the door opens upward, like a chest freezer would. You could add some spacer at the bottom (Back) to lift it off the floor and allow the compressor could breeth and then remove the door, add a coller, insulate it, and add lid (either the orginal or one you construct). You might have to add a small spacer inside the frdige to lift the kegts off the fan/vent there in the back (which will be on the bottom) to allow air flow.

This would depend if you could fit the kegs in that configuration

Ok I think I have an idea, But might take some enginutiy and some carpentry skills. And I guess the way the kegs fit.

How about flipping the fridge so that the door opens upward, like a chest freezer would. You could add some spacer at the bottom (Back) to lift it off the floor and allow the compressor could breeth and then remove the door, add a coller, insulate it, and add lid (either the orginal or one you construct). You might have to add a small spacer inside the frdige to lift the kegts off the fan/vent there in the back (which will be on the bottom) to allow air flow.

This would depend if you could fit the kegs in that configuration

You know.. I have heard some stupid ideas in my life... but this... THIS IS GENIUS!!!

I will look into that today. Would I need to worry at all about the compressor running in that configuration (on its side? Assuming I just put the spacers in there to let the air to it? I have a thermal electric cooler that when placed on its side totally shuts off.

Will keep everyone updated on the spacing.. Interested to know if anyone has any feedback on the "sideways configuration" Great idea Crane!

Or to go another way is it possible for kegs to be served out of on their side? I know there is the dip tube, but is there a way to mod the dip tube to go to the side?

Doing some visual math here (and warning I am horrible at math) Kegs are about 8.5 Diam 17 H (could be 15 if I remove the collar (screwdrivers)
Fridge is
W 14 D 12 H 16.25

So it looks like flipping it on its side will give me W 16.25 D 14 H12 (let em know if I screwed up there)
any thoughts? It looks like 2 might be just undo-able if not a super tight fit (I did do these measurements myself so it may be off, someone let me know if I did my math wrong? Undoubtedly I would need to add some sort of collar to the fridge anyway to get 2 in there even if it was set up the normal way.

When I read your post this is what popped up in my brain.
Go buy a 2x8s or 2x10.
Flip the fridge door side up. and remove the door.
Make a coller for the top.
If the fridge is 14 Deep normally it is now 14 deep vertically(check me on that)
Add a 10 inch collar (2x10) viola 24 inch tall without the lid. Give you about 7 or so inches clearance. (right?)
Take two or three peices of of the 2x10 and mount them as spacer to lift the or a u-shaped coller for the compressor to vent. (mount with angle brackets)
You'd probally only need a 2x6 for the bottom. Total hieght you looking at like 28-30 inches-ish
HD or Lowe's always have those scrap piles.

You could almost make it like a beer dispenceing end table with the finished height. Ok I think I may do this myself. (Come on Christmas get here soon).

Dude definetely keep me posted

edit: addtion thought you could use 1x8 or 1x10 and some 3/4" rigid foam to insulation to free up space

I did some math as well being tat the kegs are 8.5 Dia and the widest part is 16.25 your 3/4 inch to short unless they fit in a triangle like formation. Play with it i guess

Ok i was thinking incorrectly..

The "Depth" is now the Height 12 inches
The "Height" is now the Length 16.25
The "Width" stays the same 14

So given the kegs are in the neighborhood of 8.5 diam. I will see what I can work out here.. I am stupid right now to how I could mathematically figure this out not to mention my measurements might be off. but at 8.5 I would need a minimum of 17 length or width to fit 2 kegs in there right? or would it be possible but just not side by side? Math was never my strong point.

So no foreseeable issues running the compressor upside down?

Ok I'm all in on this with you (since I might do something similair becasue i brew mainly 2.5-4 gal batches and 3 gal kegs could be a great option)

Your dimension are correct and yeah side by side could be very, very tight. only 3/4" on an inch I would if you could alter the interior enough to squeeze out 3/4" I would do some dry fitting and/or make some cardboard cutouts. I'm trying to draw this out. But Looks like 2 could def. fit. 3 is the trick

As for the compression, as long as their is adequent ventalation I see no issue. I guess adding a collar and spacer is the easir part, hard thing is making the kegs fit. your could always mouth the CO2 externally.

If we are in on this together, the Fridge is $69 at Sears right now, I am going to the one on this side of town today hopefully its just a sale and not "clearance".

Ill see what I can do on my end, ill take 3 kegs with and see what my options are. So side by side wont be doable but 2 scattered should work?

I am reading on some sites that there is some issue with the oil in the compressor running it on its side? Maybe that is only applicable to the older or larger models?

Speaking on Altering, Why not look at altering the height? not sure what I would do to alter it? I assume with the cooling all being in the back all that the sides and tops are is the casing and insulation? I am not sure if they have smaller MFLS available. or what the options are there, but I'm excited to see if the other way will work as well.

Fridge Cutaway
P1003013-00001.png

Fridge Manual
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L1003354.pdf

Hmm this might throw a ratchet in our plan "IMPORTANT: Install this appliance in a room where
the ambient temperature is between 55°F (13°C) and
77°F (25°C). If the temperature around the
appliance is too low or high, cooling ability may be
adversely affected.
Important Note: This appliance uses semi-conductor
technology to cool the interior cabinet, and is
designed to operate at a maximum of 30°F (16°C)
degrees below the room's ambient temperature."

Is this something to be concerned with are most fridges semi-conductor technology? My place is usually in the 78-80 degrees only giving me 48-50 degrees.

Edit: It appears this semiconductor is just another word for a thermoelectric cooler. Dangit! the fridge on display didn't have any labels so figured they had somehow put the compressor all in the back..

Looks like we may be back to the drawing board.

Well that changes things doesn' it.

Try checking CL for a used mini fridge to do this to? Maybe an old college mini fridge, gut it and make your own fridge. Hell if some guys make the ferm chillers down to the 40s and below, no reason youcan make your own kegerator, just be more work.
Some 1-1.5" rigid insulation foam, playwood, a nice wood finish. Depends on your DIY prowless. I'm keeping an Eye out on a old one to gut and use in the cold chamber of my SOFC.
I wish there were some kegs that worked sideways.

I was thinking more along the lines of just carving away some of the top to get the MFL's in there (if possible)

Ill see what I find out Ill keep everyone updated.. sucks that this wont work!

Timber Did a quick interent search There are chest freezers out there that are under 5.0 cu ft. But they are about $200+.

How big of a footprint are you looking for since a 5cu ft is too big.

I was just hoping I could make it just small enough to fit waht I need. I was hoping to stay in the 1.7 - 2.5 cu ft range.. Ill have to keep looking. there is this Haier Freezer but I have had no luck getting the internal dimensions nor do I know where I would find it at a store.

http://www.haieramerica.com/fr/product/HUM013EA

Viewing the photos looks to small but no idea, Maybe I will look at their smaller fridge and expand on the sideways configuration you mentioned.

Damn compressors!

You can't just flip a fridge - The compressor MUST always remain vertical. Always.

Not that it can't be done, but you'll have to engineer some kind of mount and bend the lines around to make it vertical in the final assembly...

That Haier is pretty small, given the outer dimension it's about the same as the fridge you initally were looking at. Take the out dimesion and subtact about 3 inches for the walls and insulation and your back to square one.

Smallest affordable freezer I found was a 3.6 cu ft has 25x22 footprint for about $150.

Of course if you needed totally custom to fit you need, why not just build your own kegerator from scratch. Some wood, rigid foam, guts from an old mini frdige and a coputer fan, (and a roll of duck tape). Some nice wood panneling and some trim and you could make a nice piece of furniture.

Funny you mention that as the page is loading I was thinking to myself if I can just make my own.. this would be a ridiculous undertaking simply for the ability to minimize space at my GF request.. of course now that I have 5 3 gallon kegs it would seem silly to build to 5 gal spec. This will be a pretty expensive undertaking.

On the other hand im not very handy with woodworking and power tools. Ill see what I can come up with by some Google searches.

If you flip the fridge on it's side, the compressor will burn up. They have oil in them.

I haven't given up yet, Ill see what I can come up with.Otherwise I might be offering some new 3 gal kegs up for sale here in a couple of months lol

What about those 4.4 CU Ft fridges everyone seems to convert, I think you could fit 3 -3 gals and a tank with ease. Not as small of a footprint as you may want (or the GF may want), but they sure can be dressed up nice. Throw on a tower or put the taps in the door and use the top as a mini bar. For the price of one of those kegs you could get a fridge to fit them all.

I might have to sell her on that idea, I am also intrigued with the thought of making my own out of an old fridge.. time is not a concern for now. and I'm sure down the road I will want the functionality and ability to upgrade to a 5gal or maybe even hold a Sanke pony.. ill be doing more research to see what my options are

Back