Mini Keg v. Tap-A-Draft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veinman

Reaction score
I need some help differentiating between the smaller keg options out there. Sadly a corney or similar setup is not possible but I would like to acquire a few kegs in the 5-10L range which I think would be good to fill for parties and then be able to chill in the fridge and take and finish in one outing.

Can someone break down the main differences between

Tap-A-Draft and Mini-Keg systems or are these the same thing?
Also anyone know of a good source to get either of these in Canada?

Thanks.

Pretty much the exact same thing. The only difference would be the material. I would think that the aluminum mini-kegs would be a better way to store the beer. Here's a link to a site that sells an adaptor to use the tap-a-draft co2 cartridge with a mini-keg. http://www.beer-wine.com/products/brew-king-5l-keg-complete-system

Not sure where you could get them in canada though.

Good to hear so basically
Mini keg = metal while
Tap-a-draft = Plastic ??

Also I've read that both wear out after 6-8 uses does anyone use these and if so is this true do you have to replace them? I would invest for sure if I knew they lasted for many batches but if they only last 6-8 times they seem much more expensive.

Good to hear so basically
Mini keg = metal while
Tap-a-draft = Plastic ??

Also I've read that both wear out after 6-8 uses does anyone use these and if so is this true do you have to replace them? I would invest for sure if I knew they lasted for many batches but if they only last 6-8 times they seem much more expensive.

The TAD bottles only wear out if you use a brush to wash them, AFAIK. I had a system before I switched to a full kegging setup, and had no discernable wear on the TAD bottles when I sold them.

I've been using a TAD for a year and a half or so now using the same 3 bottles it came with. The bottles still look like they did out of the box.

Back